PDA

View Full Version : Box Modeling With a Sphere?

Griff
07-22-2004, 11:17 PM
I have a character that I want to model. Because the character is essentially a light bulb, it seems that it is easier to start with a sphere (i.e. ball) rather than a cube (i.e., a box).

Box modeling with sub-d patching typically involves starting with a box, but is there any reason that one cannot start with a ball instead of a box?

Conversely, is there a simple way to start with a box and achieve the the type of symmetry you expect to see in a light bulb?

Thanks for your insight in advance!

--Scot

Aegis
07-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Box modelling is a useful technique because you're starting with quads - as you slice up your object using Bandsaw, Knife, Quickcut etc. you should try to maintain the quad-poly structure which will give you better definition in your sub-division surfaces.

If you start with a sphere, it will have triangles in it at the poles which will cause the sub-divisions to "pinch" (you could use a tesselated sphere but you'll soon find these are no fun to work with) - try creating a sub-divided box and running the "spherize" tool - that should get you started...

Dave Allen
07-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Don't know if you have LW 8, but if you do...

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/fixpoles.avi

this movie describes a new tool that smooths out the pinching poles you get with a nurbed sphere.

I like box modeling but for something that is going to be perfectly round, you really have to massage a spherized box into a sphere. They never are perfectly round.

-Dave A.

LFGabel
07-23-2004, 01:24 AM
You'll only have triangles if you start with one of the native spheres. You can also take a cube, tab into sub-d, and freeze it. You can get a near perfect sphere if you run spherize on it.

A sphere with all quads... It can be handy!

Griff
07-23-2004, 08:12 AM
Lee,

Thanks. I did not know about the spherize command, but that could help. Smooth might help even more.

--Scot

PS I thought LW's ball primitive only has triangles at the poles. Everything else is quad.

LFGabel
07-23-2004, 11:47 AM
It depends on the sphere primitive. Tesselated spheres are 100% triangles.

Lukesutherland
07-26-2004, 01:10 AM
do this exactly:

create default box (i.e. 6 polys)
shift D, choose metaform, hit OK
now hit Tab

perfectly round square :)

chrisdz
07-30-2004, 02:16 PM
"fix poles" does help a bit, but it still leaves you with less-than-optimal results. Namely a strange "hole" at the top of the sphere :)

Allen Curtis
08-03-2004, 12:59 PM
The links below show techniques which start from a sphere instead of a box.
Both of the links are Maya tutorials, but the technique is easily applied to Lightwave polygon and subdivision modeling. Hope it helps, Griff.

Head Modeling From a Sphere (http://www.geocities.com/susantio/head01.htm)
Model From a Sphere (http://www.caligraphics.dk/Maya/head2/head2.htm)

Griff
08-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Allen,

I'll take a look. Thanks!

--Griff