PDA

View Full Version : starting all nodes from one PC?

KeithJ
07-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Is there an application that can start all the nodes on each different PC from the master PC, in the same way that screamer shutdown works to shut them all down?

This would save a lot of messing about with monitor connections and moving from room to room (for me at any rate).. I dont have a lot of space so I fit my pcs where I can and am forced to have them share monitors.

hopefully
Keith

digimassa
07-26-2004, 07:19 AM
;) :cool:

try to autostart LWSN on the nodes

BeeVee
07-26-2004, 09:56 AM
You'll have to set it up initially, but I find that VNC is very handy to use machines without having to plug in a monitor, keyboard and mouse...

http://www.realvnc.org/

B

KeithJ
07-28-2004, 06:40 AM
VNC looks like the answer. :)

Thanks BeeVee

BeeVee
07-28-2004, 06:45 AM
No problem. I hadn't ever heard of this tool and it should really be the first thing anyone with a render farm gets! :) My first experience of it was going to see someone who needed to check 30 machines - that's what he used all from his desk... :)

B

Brazilian
08-08-2004, 02:28 AM
If you want to go to a little extra intial setup work and all your render nodes are Win2000 or XP, you can use a program like AppToService to wrap the LWSN executable as a Windows service, and start it up remotely without even having to have a user logged into the machine.

You can't use mapped drives this way (but they suck anyway). I switched over to UNC paths a couple of years ago and have been using AppToService to launch LWSN on demand in the background at low priority on various machines in our building. Using another little program in the Windows resource kit called "netsvc" in order to start/stop the service remotely, I've just got batch files for each node to start or stop them.

KeithJ
08-09-2004, 11:28 AM
thats interesting. Do you know if I will be able to use either of these apps with Linux (running wine) as it can be a little expensive to keep buying licences for xp?
Keith

Brazilian
08-13-2004, 12:09 AM
Having never used WINE, I have no idea-- from what I understand of WINE, it's an API emulator and not a full Windows emulator, so you're not actually running Windows on the machine.. in which case a Windows service has no meaning.