PDA

View Full Version : Do I really have to go one by one?

somnambulance
07-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Ok, so I have a flying saucer that is going to be shooting little round balls. I want to use a simple ball object but I have a problem, I want them to grow in size after they leave the gun (over 30 frames). I tried to use a gradient, but there isnt a "particle life" option in the particle size texture window. I tried the different gradients available, but they only change the size depending on which direction they go. I could use HV's, but there is a 4.7 day difference in render time for the clip. There are 10 flying saucers shooting 24 particles each. If I do need to go one by one, I will just do the 24 and copy it, but if someone knows how to automate this, you would really make my day.

hrgiger
07-22-2004, 07:20 PM
I'm sure you could write an expression to control the fire.

Also, Worley has a plug in in one of their collections (either polk or taft) called tracer that does this as well.

UnCommonGrafx
07-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Do you have Prem's Relativity?

somnambulance
07-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the commets.

hrigger: I just checked out Worley.com, it looks like Taft is the one. That looks like it would have been easier to do it that way, but that part is already done. The thing I am having problems with is getting the object (ball) to grow about five times it's size after it leaves the barrel. I am trying to do this because the particles are too small and hard to see. I added a glow to them which helps, but when they go in front of diferent values they appear/dissapear. I figured since its si-fi, you can make up what ever rules you want and I was going to have the projectiles expand after they are shot. With hypervoxels you can use a gradient texture in the size value with particle life, but with the particle emitter you can use a gradient but not with particle life. If you ask me NewTek overlooked that one, its wack! As far as expressions go... er... yeah... I keep trying and getting frustrated with that.

UnCommonGrafx: I dont, and it isnt on sale anymore! :mad:

I think the next plugin I am after is TreeGrower.

I am going to give in and do it by hand. I just hope it doesnt look too repetitive. I hate it when you cant make things look the way you want.