PDA

View Full Version : LIGHTWAVE 8 QUESTIONS: 4 of them

richardnovak77
07-22-2004, 02:26 PM
i have a few problems/questions about lw8.

1) i never got the bonus software for preordering. what is it, and what does it do? how do i claim it?

2) i'm running a dual opteron setup. is lw automatically taking advantage of both opterons, or do i have to set it somewhere?

3) i have no manual with me right now (i'm on the road...) so i have a question: i've got an animation i'd like to render. i want it to look film-like, in the lighting, etc. so far so good. however, i need to know: render setting for widescreen. it's 16 to 9 (what i'm using) as the ratio, but what about resolution? should it be rendered at 1600x900? more? less? i'd like it for a dvd, but able to be projected on a small screen (like a wall or a little bigger) without looking too horrible.

4) are there any cool plugins for simulating realistic camera movement? it's going to be a 3d film but i'd like it rendered naturally.

thanks for the help!

Aegis
07-22-2004, 03:09 PM
1.) The free bonus software was (is?) DStorm's UV Edit Pro - it's similar in design to LightWave's Vertex Paint (by the same author) but allows you to edit UV maps with more flexibility than LightWave's native tools. It's OK but to be honest, I rarely use it - ResPower's Super/UV (http://www.respower.com/page_superuv) plugin is far more useful IMHO.

2.) Turn on multithreading in the render options (2,4 or 8 threads) to allow LightWave to utilize your second CPU.

3.) Either of the 16:9 HD resolutions should work fine (you can always scale them down to whatever resolution you need later) - 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 - I've seen 1280 x 720 scaled up to 1920 x 1080 and projected onto a cinema screen and it looked bloody amazing :D

4.) I assume you mean realistic camera shake? As a quick fix try using "Noisy Channel" under the "Modifiers" tab on the camera's motion graph.

Hope that helps!

richardnovak77
07-22-2004, 05:34 PM
hell yeah that helped, thanks! i've never heard of noisy channel, is it pretty cool? i'll need to check that out. as for the multithreading, i've been doing that. i rendered an image at 4, 8, and 16 threads (i think i have those numbers right...) and the dual opterons SCREAM. it's neat, much better than my old p4 1.6 with 512 megs ram and 8 megs video :)

i'm building the computer into an aluminum briefcase made by samsonite. i'm thinking about putting the lightwave logo on the outside of the case in place of a manufacturer logo. any ideas where i could get one?

thanks!!

ren

RUdiger
07-23-2004, 12:14 AM
If DVD is the final destination, then rendering in hi-res is proably a waste. You need to find out the maximum resolution you will be able to encode into a dvd stream...