PDA

View Full Version : Rotating Pivot for Bank

Tom Wood
07-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Hi All,

I'm stumped and need to ask what will probably be a simple question.

I want to rotate the Bank gimbal so that it is not perpendicular to the Pitch gimbal.

In the little sketch below, the red circle is the Heading gimbal, Green is Pitch, Blue is Bank, as seen from a side view.

Whenever I rotate the Pitch gimbal as shown, the Bank gimbal always tilts to stay perpendicular to it, as shown by the dotted blue line.

What I want is for the Bank gimbal to stay offset by the amount of the rotation so it isn't perpendicular to the Pitch Gimbal. How is this done?

Thanks,

TW

UnCommonGrafx
07-22-2004, 01:44 PM
I don't believe this is possible on a single object.

Heading rotates them all; pitch controls itself and bank; bank spins alone.

Adding a control spinner for this purpose is your best bet.

Triple G
07-22-2004, 10:04 PM
This is precisely why LW needs to allow you to change the rotation order of axes and/or the type of rotation system utilized (Quaternion, Euler, etc.). The way things are now, your best bet is to follow UnCommonGrafx's advice and parent the object in question to a null (or two) to allow you to separate out the individual rotation axes.

Tom Wood
07-23-2004, 01:34 AM
Thanks guys,

What I want to do is have a character similar to my avatar over there tilt forward about 15 degrees and then spin on the Bank axis, but with the center of the axis also tilted up so that it is between the eyes. Now, when I spin it, the axis is still at the nose and the whole image rotates around that. I'll mess around with it some more.

TW

UnCommonGrafx
07-23-2004, 04:35 AM
Tom,
You can have this work, but I don't have the time to test it. If you have [8] look up quanterion in the help file. You might have to spell it differently ;) , but we do have that function. I haven't used it but I have seen it. Under the auspices of IKB, for sure, and somewhere else, I think.

Gotta get to work. Thanks for getting the brain awake!