PDA

View Full Version : Memory Leak ???

CROUTON213
03-30-2003, 01:28 PM
What is a "Memory Leak" and how does it affect the PC user? What can be done about it?

I am prompted to ask only because my Lightwave 7.5b which runs wonderfully and I love it, freezes when I try to load a new scene after having previously loaded maybe 3 or 4 scenes, worked on them and saved them. It freezes during the process of clearing out the existing scene and loading in the new one. It does this even if I manually clear the existing scene first and then load the new one...
-qb

Lynx3d
03-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Memory leak is when memory gets allocated and never freed again.

I once managed that with a plugin i was writing. It was allocating RAM for each pixel it rendered but forgot to free it again :D
At some point the HD did start working like crazy when switching tasks and finally i got a message that Windows needs to increase the page file :D
Nothing crashed...but if i recall correctly i had to reboot (well i guess because plguins are dll's and thus can't be directly terminated like programs...)

I'm using win2k, and the task manager showed me that all physical and virtual memory was used, that memory bar was completely green :D

I encountered the phenomenon that LW sometimes crashes when loading a scene (well actually that is when it is clearing the old one) with all LW 6.x and 7.x versions so far, and some others also told me they sometimes have that happen...don't think it's a memory leak but just a bug or sloppy code...

CROUTON213
03-30-2003, 11:19 PM
I had been working on a project over the past 2 weeks the same time as I upgraded to Lightwave 7.5b. The scene files make use of some older 3rd party plug-ins and that seems to be have been the problem with my hangups when loading a scene.

Working on another job now and Lightwave loads files with no problems.
-qb