PDA

View Full Version : LWSN crashing on Apple G3s?

rositis
07-22-2004, 06:26 AM
I've been experimenting with Screamernet to improve my rendering speed by incorporating several slightly older Macs into my render farm, but I've run into problems.

My G4 machines seem to work fine, but my G3s crash upon attempting to load the scene. They have the latest OS update (10.3.4) and plenty of hard drive space, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. The crash log says something about a bad command, but I have been unable to duplicate the problem on my G4s.

Any suggestions?

mrunion
07-22-2004, 09:46 AM
The system requirements for LW8 require a G4 or higher. You didn't mention of it was LW8 that you were using, but if it is, LW8 requires a G4 or higher.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/sysreqs.html

rositis
07-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Arrgh. It's the "get a new computer" problem, not the "you're doing something wrong" problem.

Well, I guess it is time to upgrade. Thanks for the heads up!

KeithJ
07-22-2004, 06:41 PM
shoulda gone for PC.. I can build 2.8Gz athelonxps for less than 250.. so i'm buying 1 a month.. how cheap are macs again? Thats why I changed over to PC

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can use multiple platforms if you set things up right, but the only tutorial link I found was down. maybe NewTek could help you out. You never know!

Keith

rositis
07-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Ultimately, I will go PC for future 3D work. However, for this project, I had to use what I had on hand, and as I have been working as a web developer and graphic designer for the last four years, I used my trusty Mac G4.

The 3D stuff may be new for me, but I can clearly see that Macs are not the optimal choice (pricewise) for render farms.

somnambulance
07-27-2004, 10:39 AM
I am just getting started with ScreamerNet now, and I was thinking that you could use both platforms, but it seems that you cant. Is that correct?

I dont want to turn this into a Mac PC debate, but how fast is a 2.8ghz? I kinda wish there was a program that could be run that would give something like a horse power rating for computers. Then we would know what works best. It does seem like the 3d world is opening up more and more to Macs though. The precentage of those apple icons is gaining on those windows icons all across the web for downloads and plugins...