PDA

View Full Version : No visible layers?

Johnny
03-30-2003, 12:27 PM
I' trying to work around what might be Hub failures, in that Layout isn't acknowledging changes in Modeler files it's using..

when I ad an item/layer to my object file, Layout doesn't see it, so I've tried to use Load Object Layer, type in the # of the layer, but Layout tells me that there are "No Visible Layers Found."

There clearly ARE visible layers, and the number of layer I type does have geometry in it.

Is this feature broken for Mac?

J

cremegg
03-30-2003, 05:11 PM
Check in the Layers window (Control F5) that the layer you are trying to load has a dot in the visibility column, represented by an eye, on the far right of the Layers window.

Julian Johnson
03-31-2003, 03:59 AM
Hi Johnny,

This is all going to sound like voodoo :-)

If cremegg's suggestion doesn't work it sounds like the Hub has lost the connection between Layout and Modeler. This can happen. Usually you'd start getting error messages about the object being 'Read Only' and, as you say, any changes applied in one application will not be reflected in the other. With the Hub still open, trying to 'force' changes by explicitly loading layer numbers just makes matters worse, in my experience. Once the connection is lost, you never get it back.

The Hub stores modified objects, and possibly scenes, in a temporary directory on your startup volume: StartupVolume:Tmp:501:Cleanup At Startup:lwhub. When the connection is lost one or other of the applications continues to reference the last updated object/scene in this directory instead of the one you're working on. Even though you might be adding layers or detail to the current object in Modeler, Layout is still looking at an older temporary object in that directory (which might explain why Layout comes back and says there's nothing in those layers you're adding - you get this message normally when Layout tries to load a layer with no geometry in it and as far as Layout is concerned the temporary object stored in lwhub doesn't have those layers).

The usual way to restore the situation is to quit out of all applications and restart. Sometimes, deleting the contents of lwhub in Cleanup At Startup is a good idea as is deleting the Hub preferences which might have become corrupted during the loss of sync.

In short, as soon as one application stops updating it's time to save, quit and restart. This has been my experience with the Hub from the get go.

Julian

Johnny
03-31-2003, 06:53 AM
thanks, Julian..

I WAS getting that 'Read Only' malarkey as you mentioned...pretty confusing..it had me checking my permissions!

I quit and restart, but didn't employ the deleting the contents of lwhub; I will do that now.

thanks for the information.

The hub seems like it would be great if it would work, but a show-stopper when it doesn't.

Johnny

Johnny
03-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Julian Johnson
The Hub stores modified objects, and possibly scenes, in a temporary directory on your startup volume: StartupVolume:Tmp:501:Cleanup At Startup:lwhub.

Is there a trick to locating this temporary directory? I've done various searches, and looked here and there with LW, Modeler and Hub running..can't locate it.

J

Julian Johnson
04-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Hi Johnny,

Apologies for not being more explicit. The tmp directories and files are all invisible and so you could use one of the many OSX utilities around to make them visible - TinkerTool, Pathfinder, Filebuddy etc.

Alternatively, you can navigate directly there using the Go to Folder menu in Finder.

/tmp/501/Cleanup At Startup/lwhub/

Or do a search with criteria set fo invisible for 'lwhub'

More simply, all the contents of Cleanup at Startup are deleted with a reboot - but that can be a pain in the arse. I'm getting quite impressed with Pathfinder's overall functionality...

http://www.cocoatech.com/

Julian