PDA

View Full Version : New Markets or Old News?

badllarma
07-22-2004, 01:28 AM
http://vfxworld.com/?atype=articles&id=2165&page=1

just read this and found it really intresting, I know a few teachers in the UK anyone here doing this sort of work? To be honest the way schools are funded over here (UK) I would imagine this would be a none starter although looks like a growing market in the US.

Hervé
07-22-2004, 06:02 AM
Hey Andy, could you say a bit about, I really dont want to register.... please...

a school here where I know a couple of teachers asked me about a demo show about LW (just a few hours) for demonstrating new technologies.... I said "how much".... they've answered "..... beg you a pardon..."

I replied.... no sugar ... thank you...

badllarma
07-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Hi Herve no problem
Basically it's about the use of 3D illustration and animations to be used as a teaching tool within a classroom environment.
The article goes on to say quote

" There are lots of reasons for using 3D graphics in teaching. The biggest plus is that students are attracted to the graphics more than words on the page. They use the same technology as a learning tool that they use as entertainment in their games and films. Dr. Clark adds, ?We also know, that a lot of people are visual learners. Visual learners learn best by working with and seeing.? The overall goal of the program is to teach students how to communicate any kind of information using 3D graphics."

It states useful subjects would be science, biology and geography also it says (going much further down the line) by the use of displays to manipulate the images users would gain better understanding of the subject matter.

It's intresting and something I have thought about for a while BUT as you have already found out and I know it's a major problem in the UK would be the finacing of any sutable project.

The article itself is based on the US education system but if you can get some work shown via teaching friends to suppliment current methods and take it from there, sort deals out with maybe current text book publishers or go the whole hog and have ago of publishing subject teaching moduals on DVD yourself you never know where this could lead.
As with everything it's a risk but quiet an intresting prospect for a possible future class room teaching model.

Hervé
07-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Intersting indeed, but as you mention, major problem is money in Europe.... especially in France... they are really broke...:D

I know a teacher in France... he waited for so long to get a couple of computers for his classroom, that finally the parents decided they'll buy them.... what the heck....