PDA

View Full Version : LW8 Crashing

pencilpusher
07-21-2004, 12:14 PM
I am having problems witht the stability of LW8. My setup consists of a AMD Barton 2500+, Epox MB, 500MB RAM (Crucial), 128 MB Radeon 9500 Pro. Crashes occur in Layout and seem to happen most when I'm using special effects like particles and/or volumetrics. Seems like a graphics card problem to me but I'm no computer expert. I didn't have any of these problems with 7.5, which I have gone back to for most of my work until I resolve my problems with 8.0. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Signal to Noise
07-21-2004, 12:26 PM
If you feel it's a video card problem then perhaps try updating your drivers. If you already have the latest & greatest set then you may need to "downgrade" the drivers to a previous version. It's a royal p-i-t-a but keep experimenting with the drivers until you find some that's stable.

(Also you may need to buy an additional 12MB of RAM ;) )

JamesCurtis
07-21-2004, 03:16 PM
I heard that in general Radeon cards (ati?) haven't been as reliable as the Nvidia counterrparts due to inferior opengl support - this info just from reading threads on these boards!!

pencilpusher
07-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Yes, I heard that radeon cards are less stable as well. I was hoping someone else with a radeon 9500 pro might be able to let me know about their experiences with the card. An Nvidia card may be in order if I can't clear things up. In the mean time I'll try the different drivers as mentioned above and see how that goes.

Thanks

qwz
07-22-2004, 04:17 AM
I Use LW with 9500 Pro (Athlon system) & have no problems in Windows XP Pro Sp1 & ATI Catalyst Drivers version - 3.4, 3,8, 4,1
Maybe you have some strange settings in video board control panel
I use
Open GL - ALL in max quality, but VSync - always off
AntiAliasing - Off or 2x

Z-bufer (in advanced settings) - Force 24 bit

pencilpusher
07-22-2004, 06:57 AM
All my control panel settings were default. I'll try your settings and see what happens.

Cheers