PDA

View Full Version : Losing Audio Output-Direct X ???

ted
07-21-2004, 10:53 AM
I'm having problems losing my audio output. I know using the wrong Direct X version is a possible cause.
For those that have gone through this...what is the latest version that works. It seems I remember one of the latest versions didn't.

I've eliminated heat as the cause, and reseated all cards.
I can see audio on the meters, but it will start crackling then disappear several times during an edit session.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks!

Gordon
07-21-2004, 11:46 AM
I can see audio on the meters, but it will start crackling then disappear several times during an edit session. When it disappears are the VT[x] audio meters still going? If so check cables and ends for a good contact. You can also export just the audio as a WAV file and play it back in WMP and see if you still have the same problem of audio playback with other software.

bradl
07-21-2004, 02:34 PM
There was a thread (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24228), Ted, that dealt with troubleshooting this problem with help from pfrench. For me, it kept going out and I confirmed it was hardware and not heat related. Sent it to Tech Support and they immeadiately identified a bad resistor on main board, replaced it and had it back the same day! Of course I'm in San Antonio and could drive over there but bottom-line for me is it works fine now.

Gordon
07-21-2004, 03:13 PM
That's right, I also had this problem on a board just under a year ago. Once I confirmed it was hardware, NewTek was quick to replace a resistor on the board.

djlithium
07-22-2004, 04:03 AM
Don't jump the gun here too fast there Gordon.

Does the host system have on-board networking components?
Does the system have a USB or IDE Zip drive attached?
Does the system have a USB hub attached with devices that are being shared through the network that are active?
Does the system have a DVD-ROM/DVD-R drive in it that is working in PIO mode?
Anything else that might be throwing around a lot of DMA traffic on the buss may also be an issue.

Many of these components can cause the audio engine to fail in software.

Gordon
07-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Good points djlithium. Although I have not often seen any of the areas mentioned cause the audio to go from good, to crackling and then die, the areas you mentioned are always worth consideration.
I mentioned earlier
Once I confirmed it was hardware, ... I was able to confirm that it was hardware through a VT board swap. Perhaps his dealer could do the same.

bradl
07-22-2004, 09:39 AM
I agree that you have to do some persistant troubleshooting to identify the problem before considering having Tech Support look at it.

mgrusin
07-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Ted, are you using DVD-Lab by any chance? Every time I run it, I lose VT audio (and by association, all windows audio going through the VT card. It all comes back after restarting winrtme.) I don't know what DVD-Lab's doing with the sound (or why - it doesn't use any sound itself), but I love DVD-Lab otherwise.

-MG.

ted
07-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the input guys.
I still haven't heard a final thumbs up or down on the latest Direct X 9b though.
I'll be getting back to this on Monday.
Thanks again.

Gordon
07-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Yes, you want to have DX 9.0b installed.

Paul Lara
07-23-2004, 06:52 AM
OFFICIAL REPLY

Yes, Ted, Direct X 9.0b is the approved version to run.

:p

ted
07-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys. Still trying to find time to even check my version!;)
I did find that one of my Power supplies was going bad. Got that replaced today and I'll see if that's part of my problem. Bad power supplies can cause funny things.
Thanks again for confirming version 9b was the latest working one.

Rich Deustachio
07-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Ted I get the same thing happening with my system. VT3 latest build with a BoB. I am running 9.0b direct X so it isn't that. It will lose one channel of output even though it shows audio levels on both channels of output. Sometimes if I reeboot it will go away, sometimes it doesn't.

ted
07-27-2004, 09:36 AM
I dropped in a new power supply and made sure Direct X 9.0b was loaded, put additional fans on the CPU and I still had it happen.
I'll play some more today.
Like you said, the meters still show audio going through, but nothing going to my audio board. Sometimes the audio will crackle for a while before going away.
Closing VT, re-starting winrtme and re-starting VT will always fix it for a while.

I stopped all windows systems sounds.
All this "SEEMS" to have reduced the occurrences, but it's still happening.

I'm still hunting for a solution???

Gordon
07-27-2004, 10:51 AM
I see that you also posted on the thread mentioned by Brad L.;
Trouble shooting audio - aka the pfrench test (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=186760)
so you have probably already tried this. Can you tell us what the outcome of the test suggested by pfrench? (I've re-iterated and paraphrased it slightly so you don't have to jump back and forth.)

1. Turn on volume for an external audio source so it passes through to program out.
2. Killing VT/RTME, should leave the VT card in an un-monitored hardware pass-through state, (do NOT restart VT software). If you hear the audio passing through while in this state, and it later fizzles out then the problem is most likely hardware as there is no processing being done on the audio data at all.
If however, killing VT/RTME allows you to hear the audio pass through WITHOUT PROBLEMS later on, then it is most likely a software problem.

ted
07-27-2004, 02:34 PM
At this time, I'm feeding audio through after killing VT & winrtme. I'm not sure if audio will go away without performing anything on the system, but hey, it's another good test to try.
Thanks.

Peter Palesh
07-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Direct X 9.0C was released today and taking the chance I've installed it. So far so good.
The new version can be found here. -->http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9226a611-62fe-4f61-aba1-914185249413&DisplayLang=en

ted
07-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Ya know, it seems like if you take an hour to do lunch, it's time to update something on your computer!:p
Keep us updated.