PDA

View Full Version : AVI Wrapper Process

harpert
07-21-2004, 05:11 AM
I finally upgraded from VT(2) to VT(3) over the weekend. I kept running into file access problems with VT(2) so I finally deleted VT(2) and installed VT(3). I had no problems running VT(3) except I save more frequently now since I get an error message that pops up every now and then and after clicking OK, VT(3) shuts down. I'm not sure if that problem can be resolved with any patches that I haven't downloaded yet. It did take some time to get the basic editing process down.

I saved my first project (using VT(3)) as an AVI file and I want to convert it to MPEG-2 using TMPGenc. I'm aware of AVI Wrapper (thanks to this forum and the VTNT E-group), but didn't see any reference to it in the VT(3) manual. I'd appreciate any help in becoming familiar with the AVI Wrapper process. Isn't there more to using AVI Wrapper than merely saving a project with an AVI extension? Thanks for any help.

Tom

robewil
07-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Don't use the avi-wrapper. TMPGEnc will directly load your VT3 project. If it doesn't, run the Third Party Installer. It should find TMPGEnc and install the proper drivers that allows TMPGEnc to load VT3 projects directly.

ted
07-21-2004, 10:42 AM
What is the error message?

harpert
07-21-2004, 11:24 AM
I need to find the button for installing 3rd Party software - whereever that is in VT3. After I do that, should I save the project as a Video Toaster project instead of as an AVI? I assume I should then run TMPGenc and that software should load the VT3 project from there as you said. Sorry guys if I'm re-hashing what's already been addressed in this forum...

Tom H.

harpert
07-21-2004, 11:26 AM
As I mentioned in a previous post, I'll have to run VT3 when I get home, jot down the error message when it inevitably appears, and report it back to this forum.

Tom H.

robewil
07-21-2004, 11:31 AM
The third party installer, I believe (I'm not at my VT system) is in Start Menu --> Programs --> VT --> Utilities or something similar.

Save the project as the default Video Toaster Edit Project or VT3 Project and TMPGEnc should be able to work with it directly.

harpert
07-21-2004, 12:49 PM
To All, thanks for the help and the replies. I'm trying to deliver a video before I take vacation with my family and here I am changing the way I have done things in the past. For now, the transition to VT3 was not as daunting as I expected or does the learning curve get tougher? I suppose I'll need to download all the VT3 patches to overcome any issues I haven't come across yet.

Tom H.

robewil
07-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by harpert
I suppose I'll need to download all the VT3 patches to overcome any issues I haven't come across yet. Just download the latest one. You don't have to install them in sequence.

harpert
07-21-2004, 04:58 PM
I installed the Plug-In for TMPGenc using VT(3). I ran TMPGenc, but I'm not sure how to get it to work with a VT(3) project that I completed. Within TMPGenc, I loaded the VT(3) plug-in when I set the file type at Video Source and selected the VT(3) project. I received an error message saying the VT(3) cannot open or is not supported. I'm sure I left out a step, but not sure where. Thanks for any help

Tom H.

robewil
07-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Run the Third Party Installer from the start menu.

robewil
07-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Now that I'm home, I can verify the 3'rd Party Application Driver Installer is found at:

Start Menu --> Programs --> VT[3] --> Utilities --> 3'rd Party Application Driver Installer.

harpert
07-22-2004, 04:45 AM
Rob,

Thanks for all your help. I did manage to find and install the VT3 plugin for TMPGenc. I tried to convert my 1 1/2 hour VT3 project using TMPGenc, but I got an error message indicating TMPGenc could not open or support that project. Someone suggested in the VTNT Yahoo E-group that I try using a smaller project (about 4 clips) and I managed to get TMPGenc to recognize it. I'm not sure what happened with that first project. I do know that I saved it as AVI project and then back to a VT3 project. I eventually tried the VT3 version of that project and I was able to get TMPGenc to recognize about 10 clips or so. I'm giving up on using TMPGenc to convert that project to MPEG-2 and using VT3 to render it instead. I'll try TMPGenc again on another project.

Tom H.

robewil
07-22-2004, 10:09 AM
I'm giving up on using TMPGenc to convert that project to MPEG-2 and using VT3 to render it instead. I hope you're not thinking that VT[3] is capable of creating MPEG-2 files because it can't.

I'm not sure why you are having problems. I do remember reading that TMPGEnc would not work with VT[3] projects if they included third-party DVE's unless you had the latest VT[3] patch. If nothing else works, you can render your project to a single rtv file and, as long as you have Kirk's plug-in, you can create an MPEG-2 from that with TMPGEnc.

harpert
07-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Rob,

When I mentioned VT3 rendering the project in my previous post, I meant to render it to an AVI file - not MPEG-2 (as I may have implied). I'm in the process of converting a 1 hour VT3 project (video only for now) to MPEG-2 using TMPGenc, but it will take over 3 hours (according to TMPGenc). That's taking longer than I expected. Does the VT3 plugin set up TMPGenc with all the appropriate settings for converting a VT3 project to TMPGenc? I did notice that I had to click on the ES (Video Only) Stream Type since I need it for MPEG-2 video.

Tom H.

robewil
07-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Does the VT3 plugin set up TMPGenc with all the appropriate settings for converting a VT3 project to TMPGenc? "Appropriate" is subjective but I assume you mean a DVD compliant MPEG-2 file. The answer is that no settings are set up just by loading a VT[3] project. TMPGEnc has some built-in presets, including one for DVD. You can load it and tweak the settings. There's a world of options here and instead of going through them, check out Eugene's article (http://www.professionaleventvideo.com/tmpdirections.htm) here. Even though it's directed at VT[2] users, it is an invalueable resource. You may also want to look at dvd-hq (http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html) for an overview of most of TMPGEnc's settings.

You are correct in wanting elementary streams (ES). Also, if your video is 1.5 hours, your target bitrate should be about 6 MB/sec.

harpert
07-22-2004, 01:05 PM
The reason why I posed that setting question was because I already had TMPGenc optimized for MPEG-2 (after some tweaking last year) and hadn't intentionally changed any settings since then. It didn't seem to take that long for a 1 hour video, but since I'm bypassing the AVI file creation process I was wondering if 3 hours were adequate to create a MPEG-2 file from a VT3 project. I'll check the bitrate setting when I'm done converting the current file.

Tom

harpert
07-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Rob,

I just checked the bitrate setting and it's 1.15 mb/sec!!! I don't recall what the previous setting. I'll check out those two sites you gave me for the optimum settings and go from there. Thanks again.

Tom H.