PDA

View Full Version : disproportionate blueprints

rAT_mAN
07-21-2004, 01:59 AM
hello, ive been working with LW 7.5c for some time now, cant quite afford LW 8 yet, but ive become pretty comfortable with the flow of both modeler and layout

i download blueprints off the internet, cut them up into the front, top, side, and back views, load them into the background and a little into the modeling process i will find that the images come disproportionate to each other. no matter how much resizing or moving, i cannot get all of the backdrops to line up just right.

i was wondering if anyone had any tips on setting up backdrop images in correct relation to each other, or if anyone's had similar problems as described

thanks

Mylenium
07-21-2004, 04:03 AM
I don't know, where you screw up, but it's not difficult.

a) Prepare your images properly - since the backdrops use OpenGL display mode, they should be in sizes that help speed things up e.g. 512 or 1024 pixels maximum size. Larger images will be downsampled and get mooshy. Make sure you dont leave unnecessary margins. This will make adjusting images to the proper size impossible. Crop them on the outmost visible line. also make sure you rotate them properly. A great helper is having similar sizes. So if your front view is 300 pixels wide, your top view should have the same width. This facilitates orientation, since placing the images is done in 2D screen space, not world space.

b) Create a dummy box that covers the extents of your backdrop images and reflects the size of your object. Then start with the largest image (normally top view). Adjust it's size until everything lines up. Then simply load the next view. If you followed the steps in a), you will notice, that certain values are the same, but may be needed to swap from X to Y.

That's about it. Really simple. If you want to be extra clever, try and trace some of your contours in a vector graphics program, import them with the EPSF loader and place them on a background layer in addition to your drawings.

Mylenium

r34skyline
10-17-2004, 08:56 PM
i've got the same problem rat_man!! front isn't the front, it's the back, and the top viewport is HEAPS smaller than the others. I'm working off some really good blueprints, with width's the same size where appropriate, but the top viewport has gone all screwy. It's soooooooo annoying, and then i tried 3DS and it's perfectly fine. I hate lightwave, so ****, just have to use it cos my uni subject requires me to do so :mad:

rAT_mAN
10-18-2004, 01:28 AM
i relied to your other post, hope it helps. i think lightwave rocks though :D