PDA

View Full Version : How to break a bottle?

Johnny
07-20-2004, 07:11 PM
I'm trying to bust a bottle in half so that I get jagged edges and pieces of glass, but the techniques I'm trying aren't getting it..

Namely, I'm trying to boolean my way to the goal like this: bottle in one layer and a cube shape in the other, with the top of the cube spikeyed out, and with selected points dragged up and down so that as you look around the bottle relative to the jaggedizing surface, you can see where the jags are going to land.

the booleans work, but when I hit sub-D, everything's rounded. if I don't sub-D, I end up with a hexagonal bottle and sort of squared-off parts that ought to be triangular and jaggedy-looking.

Am I on the right path at least with the booleans?

thanks for any hints..

********Burst of Enlightenment!*********

Started fiddling around with Freeze, did a boolean on the bottle and the results are jagged, but the bottle remains smooth. This could be it!

wheeee!

J

Silkrooster
07-20-2004, 09:26 PM
If your planning on getting "Inside Lightwave 8", there is a plug-in called C4 on the DVD that will break apart your object and place each peice onto it own layer. Then its a matter of using hardFx in Layout.

Hoopti
07-20-2004, 09:28 PM
You can also pull this plugin down by doing a search on flay.

Signal to Noise
07-20-2004, 10:19 PM
There's also a couple of tutorials on this very scenario in the recent (Shrek 2 cover) 3D World Magazine. One is for LightWave and the other is written for 3ds max but the principles can be equally applied to LW. The LW specific tutorial also employs C4 in it's effect. You may want to check it out. :)

Hervé
07-21-2004, 01:14 AM
does one knows if it works with lw8...? it says " computing vertex structure" , but then stops...."

LFGabel
07-21-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Johnny
the booleans work, but when I hit sub-D, everything's rounded.
You could try setting the sub-d weight for the shard ends to 100%... that would prevent the rounding, and maintain a sub-d mesh.

Hoopti
07-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Hervé
does one knows if it works with lw8...? it says " computing vertex structure" , but then stops...."

I use it in 8 without a problem. It's very memory intensive dependant upon the size of the polygon mesh you're applying it to.

I had a building with close to 500,000 polys that took a long time for it to disect. I had it set to very small pieces, so those two factors are the pieces that take a while. As such, it's highly dependent on the power of your processor too.

But it works great here.

Hoop

Hervé
07-22-2004, 01:00 AM
works here too, but kinda slow.....

avice for breaking glass stuff... keep a untouched copy of your object.... and dissolve it just when you expolde your glass, coz the cuts are otherwise showing inside the glass, a bit like a pre-broken one.... he he

Hoopti, can you show something about that broken building......;)