PDA

View Full Version : General Question

Dynamax
07-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Using LW 5.6 and looking to upgrade. Wondering if the new version has Particle Storm functionality; fire, smoke, plugin resources?

Silkrooster
07-20-2004, 09:16 PM
What I have seen so far, Particle FX and Hypervoxels can do a very convincing job of creating fire and smoke. I never used ver 5.6 so I do not know how much progress has been made. I beleive they are very similar to ver 7.5. One difference I have noticed is that particles can be created via object property panel for the object you wish to add dynamics to. Also you can change settings and view the changes normally without recalculating. Sometimes it is necessary to recalculate though.
If you can get your hands on the new book that Dan Alban wrote "Inside Lightwave 8" you can see some of the videos on the included DVD about dynamics and hypervoxels. One note about the DVD, the videos are in quicktime format, so you would need a DVD player on your computer. I did not see any videos that would play on a set top DVD player for a TV.

retinajoy
07-21-2004, 08:15 AM
The LW particle plugins are integrated into LW, unlike the third party Particle Storm lite which came with 5.6. Much easier to use and setup. Plus you have the dynamics too. I am no particle/dynamics expert; just done the simple stuff but it all works quite nicely compared to previous versions. In the past I have managed to create convincing smoke/fire etc using LW particles with Hypervoxels.

Go here, scroll down to the dynamics and particles to find out more and watch the example videos to give you a better idea.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/highlights2.html

Dynamax
07-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Great feedback. Thanks!

Dynamax
07-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Anyone know of a tutorial for the particle storm function?

Dave Allen
07-23-2004, 12:46 AM
This tute is old but the functions are just the same. Newtek cleaned up the screen clutter by putting the PFX interface as a object properties tab.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/specialfx/particlefx_tornado/particlefx_tornado.html

Siggraph 2004... mmmmm.
-Dave A.

Dynamax
07-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Thanks