PDA

View Full Version : Impossible images - Blatent self promotion!

diablo1000000
07-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi Guys.

*Apologies if you have already seen this on General Discussion - but 'Finished Work' seems the best place for this thread now!*

Iíve been a user of Lightwave for quite some time now, and Iíve seen some really fantastic finished-work links posted here in that time.

Now itís my turn to post my very own 3D showreel for your viewing pleasure (or horror?) Any crits would be fantastic, and it would be great to know if people simply enjoyed the show! All the 3D was created with Lightwave (of course!) and edited together in Premiere.

Head to one of these links for the full showreel:
Quicktime version Highband (33mb) (http://www.impossible-images.com/video/showreel_quicktime_high.mov)
Quicktime version Lowband (13mb) (http://www.impossible-images.com/video/showreel_quicktime_low.mov)
Zipped windows AVI Highband (116mb) (http://www.impossible-images.com/video/showreel_avi.zip)
Zipped windows AVI Lowband (29mb) (http://www.impossible-images.com/video/showreel_avi_small.zip)

Still examples of my work are available at gallery
Links to the videos above and some Lightwave 3D shockwave elements at movies.

Thanks guys!

All the best,

Tony.

adrian
07-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Well I love your website; nice design and I really like the spinning letters on the left hand side.

I'm downloading the movie as I type so I'll give feedback when I've had a chance to watch.

Adrian.

adrian
07-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Wow, very impressive!

I especially like the robot animation and how you have the plane moving up and as it does so texturing your models on several occasions.

I'm not a particular fan of cel-shading but your's looks very professional.

Your reel kept me watching from beginning to end which is rare for me!

Well if you wanted criticisms unfortunately I can't give you any. I would be interested to know how long it took you to put together. Also did you do concept drawings before starting to model?

So there you have it - probably a useless reply but hey, I enjoyed the show so thx for sharing your work.

Adrian.

Hervť
07-20-2004, 11:27 PM
ok ... my crits... looks good..... except...

Dont repeat stuff more than twice....
did not like... cel shaded people, the orange cave....

dont match the music with stills in the begining... it makes people think they watch a music video....;)

my 1 cent

ZoAnThRoPy
07-21-2004, 01:13 AM
Cool promotional video.
Im like the guys above, im not a massive fan of cell shading, but yours is done really well.
The whole video is put together really well.
Love the soundtrack too, its goldfrapp right, but which track is it if you dont mind me asking ?

ZoAnThRoPy
07-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Its tiptoe, my brain just flipped and i couldnt remember, then i was watching telly and it just came to me
;)

diablo1000000
07-21-2004, 04:55 AM
Hi guys.

Thanks for your feedback and crits; really appreciated! :cool:

Adrian; thanks for the support! The Face/Garden/Zombie animations were projects for my Uni degree, with the low poly industrial room something I did during winter. So the pieces were stretched across about 3 years. The showreel editing and construction have taken me about 3months, although that's there have been weeks where I wouldn't get anything done. I'm
sooo pleased it's almost all sorted.

All the projects start off as conceptions and drawings. Admittedly they are really poor drawings, and I usually 'sketch' models in Lightwave to give me an idea of scale and build. I'm really glad you enjoyed the reel; I tried a lot of editing to get people to watch it all the way though, and it looks like it paid off! :D

Hervť, ZoAnThRoPy; Thanks for your thoughts! The Zombie/Cel stuff is a weird one. I get some people saying that it's by far their favourite bit, where others just don't like the 3D/Cartoon mix. It's quite unusual and different though, which is something I was going for!

Hervť; The opening bit with the music is a bit music-video, but in a way that was what I was going for. It starts quite slowly and technical, but then the animations start to begin and the music tempo increases... itís a real build up effect.

ZoAnThRoPy; Yeah, Tiptoe is right. As SOON as I heard it, I knew I was the track for me. I've only used the last 3mins or so (and it's slightly edited/chopped) but I'm very happy with the way the music fits with the animated action.

Thanks again for all your input!

Tony.

Hervť
07-21-2004, 06:31 AM
looking at your avatar, I imagine that you also like the robot a lot.... Like me, I think it's a very good part, and wish I could see more....:D ;)

BTW, If you go for a music video style then it's ok....:cool:

diablo1000000
07-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks Hervť! I don't really have any favourites, I love all my creatures! More still shots from the animation (better quality) can be found at my gallery (http://www.impossible-images.com/gallery.htm)

(There is also some interactive 3D stuff on the movies (http://www.impossible-images.com/movies.htm) page)

Tony.

Zarathustra
07-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Oddly, the storage closet with the shelves of TP was the best piece on the reel. One texture? That's interesting.

I think the fantasy hilltop could be better if it were lit better. It's nicely detailed and I would like to see more of that but it looks kinda flat now.

I'm not a big cel shaded fan, so I'd personally shorten that stuff and not bother as much showing wires of it, just the more realistically textured/rendered stuff.

diablo1000000
07-27-2004, 03:17 AM
Hi Zarathustra,

Thanks for your comments. Thanks for the support with the shelf model/texture. I'm surprised that was your best bit, but so long as you had one!

Here's an image showing the UV texture of the shelf. It is quite interesting. It took a lot of tweaking and baking, and I could probably get that polygon count down, but it does the job!

http://www.impossible-images.com/misc/Battue_Shelves_Breakdown.jpg

The hilltop garden light is quite saturated; I wanted a really bright white sun/light that the island could 'emerge' from.

Thanks!

Tone.

alblil
07-27-2004, 05:06 PM
i thought it was very well done, usally i a hard crtic. but i got to eat i agree with what Hervť said. and the coolest part was the robot and if you want...you should make more video with the robot maybe some walking or somthing.

carpo
07-27-2004, 10:17 PM
I really enjoyed watching through your reel. I think the music video style was really good. I also liked the cel shaded zombie stuff too. Is this part of a bigger movie? I have to say it made me want to watch more :)

Great Job and good luck when showing it around :)

Cheers,
Carpo.

diablo1000000
07-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Hi Alblil and Carpo, thanks for the input!

Alblil: I'm glad you liked the Chanel Robot pieces. I wanted to avoid the robot walking/moving stuff as
a) I'm still learning character animation techniques, and
b) I wanted to concentrate on a more 'beautiful' robot appearance, as oppose to a technically advanced one.

Carpo: Thanks for the great support! Each animation is complete in it's own right, as part of separate University pieces I completed. They were quite short animations though (with the zombie pieces being almost exclusively a set of still images) so you really see most of them in the reel.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. :D

Tone.

99sproth
07-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Wow looks really good.

What course you do at uni? I'm off to uni soon and really need to find one which will let me do lightwaving instead of bullying me into max. :(

diablo1000000
07-29-2004, 08:11 AM
I went to Staffordshire University (http://www.staffs.ac.uk/schools/art_and_design/); they were mainly 3DMax based, but the 3D tutor guy knew a bit about Lightwave, and when I said I already had a bit of skill with it, he let me use if for all 3 of my 3D modules!

But it did mean I was on my own for a bit teaching myself rather than being taught. If you have a strong will and think you can be focused, it's a good one to take.

Good luck with the future! :)

Tone.