PDA

View Full Version : Field order interpreted wrong in After Effects

mvanni
07-20-2004, 02:47 AM
hello Everybody, this is my first post, Ive been looking for a similar situation on the board, but cant find it, so here im posting.

im rendering several animations at NTSC DV (720x480, lower field first, 29.97 fps..etc.) by lower field I mean "even" in LW which I read is correct, these are then imported into After Effects for post, I import them , interpret them as lower field first, BUT when I double click on the imported anims. and scrub back and forth I see the dreaded wrong field effect (frames goes forward 2 frames and back 1, or something to that effect).

I dont have an output board or a monitor to see the real output, so I have no way to test it.. but logic tells me if I :

* render in LW, even field first (lower field)
* import in AE and interpret as lower
* render composition in lower

then the result would be an NTSC DV compliant footage? correct..?

then why the footage shows that weird effect, btw if I interpret it as upper and scrub the anim, it plays just fine.. even thought it was rendered as "even" or lower.

any ideas?? mind boggling.. I know it has to be something I missed somewhere

much appreciated

matt ::

Red_Oddity
07-20-2004, 05:50 AM
Then leave it on upper, problem solved (it's just an interpretation)

mvanni
07-20-2004, 12:23 PM
yeah , that would be ok. but im too anal I guess :) I wanted to know WHY this was happening..

well I did some more research and indeed Lightwave's ODD is LOWER and EVEN is UPPER , exactly the opposite as the broadcast standard.. not sure whats the deal..

anyway.. im going to have a LOT of layers so I just re-rendered everything again, just so its easier on After effects and less room to screw-ups.

Thanks for the post !