PDA

View Full Version : OT: is this a new virus?

CB_3D
07-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Explorer works its way up to 30+mb in minutes, and this is only the destop-task. I have 1.5GB installed. Anyone having the same trouble?

mattclary
07-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Doubtful. at least not based on that evidence. I know mine is clean.

Explorer will just creep up with time and depending on what's going on on the machine.

meshmaster
07-20-2004, 08:31 AM
when you go in to that task manager... do an end task on iexplore and then on explorer process... yes, your desktop will go away, but I"ve found that every now and then it will massively improve your speed and performance to just dump explorer (assuming you don't have any folders open that you are working on)... you can restart it by going to applications tab->new task->then type in explorer...

Also, how many icons do you have on the desktop and how many folders do you have open? Those things eat ram... create a folder on the desktop and drop other desktop icons that you don't use a lot in to there... so for instance put one folder with all your game shortcuts, another for all your 2d apps, another for 3d apps, etc. and just keep as few as possible icons on main desktop area - like for instance, a shortcut to modeller and layout.

Exper
07-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Explorer is a big memory eater...
try to keep your system as clean as possible! ;)

Matt
07-20-2004, 11:18 AM
My Explorer is on 43mb as I type, no, wait it's just gone up to 45mb, no, hang on, it's now on 50, no hold a sec, it's now 78mb, hmmmmm, it seems the more I type the more it goes up!

;)

Seriously, it's on 43mb

CB_3D
07-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Well, i just let the computer run just with the desktop, and in 4hours it reached 90 mb!!!!
There´s something wrong, no question.

Keith Athaide
07-20-2004, 05:25 PM
You've got the sasser worm. The process "lsasss.exe" is linked to the sasser worm.

Removal: http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

retinajoy
07-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Once you have installed a decent anti virus and firewall. Computer Associates eTrust I have found to be very good. You may have to end task the lsasss.exe as it may try stopping you from downloading the latest virus definitions. I remember having to do this when a worm got on my computer.

lesterfoster
07-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Check out AlphaSHIELD (http://www.bctia.org/members/Alpha_Shield.asp). This is going to be my next big investment. Let me know what you think so you can help prevent me from wasting $150.00 ca. It is a Canadian company. But it is available in the US for just $100.00 at your local Radio Shack store.

It is amazing. It is made in Canada. But I can not buy it here in Canada yet

CB_3D
07-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Keith Athaide
You've got the sasser worm. The process "lsasss.exe" is linked to the sasser worm.

Removal: http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

Problem solved, thx a lot!

WizCraker
07-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Kieth you have a good eye I did not notice all those lsasss.exe files in the screenshot.

Exper
07-21-2004, 02:49 AM
Me too... :D