PDA

View Full Version : Exporting video

twister47
07-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Hey, this really isnt lightwave related but I'm sure a lot of people here export video to the web.

I'm trying to export a 4 minute long video from Adobe Premiere Pro to a video that I can put up on a website. I've seriously spent hours playing around with settings trying to get a video that has good quality and a small file size. (I've played with different compressors and different file types).

But everything I've done has had pretty low quality with raging file sizes. I really wanna be able to keep the video down to around 25 megs at the most cause I dont wanna kill our bandwidth. I know it can be done and I know I just have to be doing something wrong.

For example, my brother showed me this website. http://www.adventchildren.net/ff7ac/media/movies.htm

It's got DVD-quality trailers that are 2 minutes in length that are 25 megs. I only need the video to be 320x240 but my low quality videos are over 100 megs when they come out!

Anyone have any experience that can share some good export settings? I'm really getting frustrated.

Thanks a ton

Silkrooster
07-19-2004, 08:48 PM
For the web you should try to keep the video format to one that most computers can play. Off hand there is realvideo, quicktime, windows media, mpeg 1 & 2, plus a whole bunch of codecs the throw into the works.
Since you want to keep the file size down, and I assume you want pretty good quality. Then realvideo, windows media are out. Quicktime is iffy. It shows pretty good quality, works on Mac and Windows, file size may or may not siut your needs. By using a mpeg codec with quicktime, it just may work. Mpeg 2 is out unless you know the audience will have a mpeg2 decoder to play the video. Mpeg 1 will work on both Windows and MAC. Quality and file size will depend on compression settings. Over all this is a pretty good file format.
So I guess it boils down to Mpeg 1 or Quicktime, your choice. So do some experimenting the one with the best quality and the smallest file size wins.
The reason I through out realvideo and windows media, is because when the quality is set to low, it gets very hard to see the video, even though they can produce some of the smallest file sizes.
If it was a small video another possibility would be gif animations. The color is not the greatest, but for the web, it could be a possibilty, especially for something like an animated avatar that you could click on to see the real video footage.
You may end up creating more than one format and give the end user a choice for what format they wish to download. This would be an excellent idea for choosing between dialup and broadband videos.

BeeVee
07-20-2004, 01:52 AM
Your file size is also related to the amount of delta change between frames - if you move the camera a lot or jerkily then your file size will increase dramatically. Try using AVI with the DiVX or XviD codecs, 100MB still seems very big for a four minute 320x240 clip. Does it have sound?

B

Martin Adams
07-20-2004, 02:54 AM
I've spent a while myself finding a feasible answer to presenting movies over the web.

The solution I came up with is to use Macromedia Flash and their new .flv video files. I believe it uses the Sorenson codec which of course you could get for AVI and MOV formats as well.

The frame size is 320x245, 25fps and decent quality sound. It comes out at about 4mb per minute. (2:57 @ 12.1MB)

Here's an example of a video I converted for a friend:
http://tim.student-film.com/movies/city_dreamer.html

With regards to playback, you need the Flash 6 or 7 player in your browser, but no additional codecs and works on both PC and Mac. It also supports playback before the whole file has been downloaded.

However, if you want people to download it for offline viewing then itís quite limited. There would be nothing stopping you creating a player in Flash that can be downloaded however, but it can get a bit messy.

The alternatives I found with DivX is to try to make the video stream at 500 Kbits per second. This is comparable to downloading on broadband.
Here's an example of a DivX alternative which is about 4.12MB per minute (1:35 @ 6.53MB)
http://www.egallery.me.uk/files/movies/fx2.avi

Hope it helps :)

Martin Adams
07-20-2004, 02:55 AM
... also, if your footage is from a video camera, make sure you deinterlace it first as you'll probably get lines all over the picture.

twister47
07-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys, I'll try those ideas out.

Silkrooster
07-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Martin,
Is that why AVI has lines through it when playing video in media player and playing the video back using the default codec for the video camera does not have lines? I thought there was a problem with the conversion to AVI. Never accured to me that the video needs to be deinterlaced first.

twister47
07-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Even when I de-interlaced it in premiere, it still came out with wavy lines in the wmv.

Silkrooster
07-20-2004, 11:17 PM
If I remember right in Premeir even to a simple video capture with a composite signal would create those lines in the avi file.

Martin Adams
07-21-2004, 02:59 AM
Premiere can be quite stubborn when it comes to deinterlacing it. I'm not sure with the new Premiere Pro, but I'm using Premiere 6.

What you have to do is drop your video into a timeline.

Then right-click the clip, go to 'Video Options' -> 'Field Options...'.

Then select 'Always Deinterlace'.

Now if you've got your edit and there are a lot of clips, you may want to export the whole lot out as a single video first then do this in a new timeline.

Now when you export the video, under the 'Special Options' section in the advanced settings, also select 'Deinterlace'. That should definitely make sure it's deinterlaced.

Interlacing can be used for quite a cool trick because I generally deinterlace my video to give it a film like quality. This essentially means I'm throwing away half of the frames. Here's a little tick I learnt on how to slow down footage by half without dropping frames (not sure if the packages like Premiere do this anyway when slowing footage)

1. Export all the video as an interlaced image sequence.
2. Create a Photoshop batch to deinterlace each field with the lower field first (Filters -> Video -> Deinterlace).
3. Create a second batch to deinterlace each field with the upper field first.
4. Now for the tricky bit, reorder the exported frames in an interleaving order. E.g. joining the two batch exports like a zip.

I can't quite remember if it should be the upper first then the lower, or the other way around.

Martin Adams
07-21-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Silkrooster
Martin,
Is that why AVI has lines through it when playing video in media player and playing the video back using the default codec for the video camera does not have lines? I thought there was a problem with the conversion to AVI. Never accured to me that the video needs to be deinterlaced first.

Yeah that most likely is the interlaced fields showing. If I'm not mistaken, the way a TV displays the picture is to do every other line then go back and to the interleaving lines (either that or it actually replaces the pixels from the previous line, not sure). Hence 25fps running at 50Hz and 30fps running at 60Hz. That is why TV always looks much smoother compared to film because generally is seems like 50fps (at least here in the UK). Also, that is why game developers try to push games to run at 60Hz for extra smoother entertainment.

Your video camera also records the video in a similar way to a TV by recording one field, then going back and the next field to build up the one frame.

If you've ever wondered why when you pause your video it jutters between two frames and looks really weird, especially if there's a lot of motion, this is actually the two fields being played back on the TV for that one frame. If you have deinterlaced footage paused, it will be a static image.

Anyway, a computer monitors work differently, and as you probably know, at much higher refresh rate, 60Hz onwards and to my knowledge doesn't display in interleaving lines.

Using some playback software they wonít automatically deinterlace the footage and yes you will see the lines. Export a single interlaced frame from premiere as an image, open it in Photoshop and you'll see what an interlaced frame looks like. If you do any resizing without deinterlacing you will see how you can really screw up the image ... similar to what is going on when exporting to a smaller sized video in some cases.

If anyone sees anything here that's not quite accurate, please do correct me.

twister47
07-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Adobe Premiere Solution

So I was playing around with Premiere and found very good results with Quicktime MPEG4. The trick is in Adobe's media encoder to turn the bitrate down really low for the Quicktime MPEG4. I turned it down to like 15 and had still very good results. Not sure if that part is just faulty and missing a zero or something but hey, whatever works.

Just wanted to post in case someone searched for this.