PDA

View Full Version : Promise SATA Controller question

sbrandt
07-19-2004, 12:42 AM
The PROMISE Controller Card, Model SATA150 TX4 will not do RAID itself... but will it allow a SOFTWARE RAID-0 ?

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Sam

Aegis
07-19-2004, 03:47 PM
I believe any card (SCSI or SATA) that allows you to mount multiple drives can be striped into a RAID 0 through Win2k/XP Pro - hardware support is not necessary AFAIK. Hell, you can even create a RAID 0 using the PC IDE bus...

Darttman
07-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Look around in the boot menu when the bios is done. It should give you an option like press cntrl and del or something along those lines.
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to stripe a raid zero array? The only thing with old ata drives you should want to do is stripe it one for redundancy. No actual "speed" or acess time is gained with zero raid array unles you go to a sata type setup.

Hope this sheds some light or saves some time.

sbrandt
07-21-2004, 08:10 PM
The reason?
I have an A7M266-D Motherboard with no sata, and two sata drives. I want to use the Promise sata adapter, that has no raid functionallity, with the software raid in Win2k to mount the two sata drives. I want to run Premiere and VegasVideo a little quicker. I don't want to put them on my VT box, it's just for VT and nothing else. I'll save myself lots of trouble by keeping them seperate. Especially with audio drivers, etc..

Gordon
07-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Right click on the 'My Computer' icon, select 'Manage', left click on 'Disk Management', find the first of the two unformated drives/partitions and tell it to create a stripe set. Then you can add the second drive. There is an option to tell it what type of stripe set but I don't think it used the standard RAID 0 or RAID 5 nomenclature. The RAID 0 will give you the correct amount of drive space and RAID 5 will give you only the space of one drive due to it's redundant nature. Choose the option that will give a stripe set equal to twice the size of the smallest of the two drives.

So long as the drives appear in Disk Management and there are unformatted partitions you can create a stripe set from these partitions.