PDA

View Full Version : ot: caffeine withdrawl kicks *****!!!

jin choung
03-30-2003, 02:26 AM
howdy fellows,

well, this is ot but kinda relates to most of us i would imagine so i thought i'd post here. it's the account of a mystery ordeal....

well, for the last several days, i've been feeling pretty cruddy with a dull pounding headache, difficulty focusing on the monitor, sensitivity to light, and aching legs like i was taking on suzanne sommers for thigh supremacy - that pain actually kept me up at night!

couldn't figure out what it was and i thought i was coming down with a flu or something. well, i have a checkup coming up so i'd just ask the doc about it....

but today (saturday), i went to get my regular coffee and toasted bagel at border's books and ended up feeling better a few hours later.

then it dawned on me that for the last few weeks, i was getting a non caffeinated soda at the supermarket!!! my only liquid intake happens to be diet soda (a bad habit from my college days) and lately, i've been getting a diet CODE RED MOUNTAIN DEW....

it's a really great tasting soda but it's been unavailable for the last few weeks at the local ralphs. i usually got diet coke before code red but i developed a taste for fruit flavored drinks because of code red (it tastes like fruit punch)....

anyhoo, i ended up getting diet orange slice for the last couple of weeks and i must have developed a caffeine withdrawl in the last few days!

i don't usually get a coffee every day but those years of daily coke's must have really turned me into a caffeine monkey!

and the switch to orange slice made me go inadvertently cold turkey!

on a hunch, i did a search on google for caffeine withdrawl and indeed, migraine like symptoms, muscle pains (particularly leg and thigh pains [ why the heck is this? what is it about caffeine and thighs? ]), as well as grogginess, inability to focus, etc. end up describing caffeine withdrawl... crazy huh? never would have thought that seemingly benign products like coffee and soda could make me feel so cruddy!

well, here i am sipping a cherry diet coke as i type this and most of the withdrawl symptoms (migraine, aches, etc) have subsided. i'll probably wean myself off a daily caffeine fix and go coke/7up half and half for awhile. but yah, that withdrawl was horrible!

anyhoo, if any of you end up without caffeine for a while and end up feelin' awful, try getting a cola or some coffee. it'll take the edge off....

this has been a health message for fellow 3d/caffeine junkies by

jin

riki
03-30-2003, 03:26 AM
My diet isn't the best, and I have a sweet tooth for chocolate, but for some strange reason I never got into soft drink. My biggest problem is RSI in my right forearm from endless hours of maturbating, sorry I meant clicking and moving the mouse. It's gotten to the stage that the two middle fingers on my right hand feel partially dead.

hrgiger
03-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Yes. I'm addicted to caffeine myself. If I don't have it for about 2 days time, I get an awful pounding headache and sometimes get physically ill. My response to this is usually to swear off caffeine (pepsi being my drink of choice) for a few weeks but it never lasts. Then I start drinking again and start the whole process over again. At this point I find a steady stream of caffeine is best. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, so I feel like I deserve a good vice like caffeine.

lone
03-30-2003, 09:01 AM
a no-caffiene headache is a real pounder...BORDERS has some of the best coffee (KENYA AA will light you right up). caffiene is actually one of the worst chemical substances for the human body, but it sure helps get things done.

riki
03-30-2003, 09:43 AM
I heard on the radio a few years ago (so it must be true) that janet jackson was taking a coffee enima (maybe bad spelling) but basically she was putting the coffee up her bum so that it apparently gives you a quick hit, the caffine absorbs fast into the blood stream and is apparently a good technique if you suffer from depression :-)

haha I wonder about the milk and sugar :-)

MikeFrHoweTx
03-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Jin , you say “Most of withdrawal symptoms” are gone, as meaning some are still present? If that is true, you may be of the few people that genetically your liver cannot detoxify aspartame properly http://www.321recipes.com/dr_james_hayes.html . You might try Splenda drinks (or make your own). I’ve gone on water-only cleansing diets before to detoxify myself, similar as Dr Ted Boers. It is Lent now, which is a good time for cleansing the body of toxic chemicals like aspartame, caffeine and sugar, along with the cleansing our souls.
However you body “Looks” within the recommended weight guidelines, if that is true you should see a Doctor and evaluate you need for “Diet” sodas before cleansing your body.
Good luck. Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m ashamed the Dixie Chicks came from my state of Texas and vote to send them to Iran for enlightenment.

jin choung
03-30-2003, 04:30 PM
howdy mike,

well, as for what i just went through, it seems like it was more caffeine withdrawl rather than aspartame intake. the aspartame intake has always been pretty constant whereas the lack of caffeine was new - with the accompanying symptoms as well. a caffeine fix "fixed" it right up....

but that article was really interesting though... didn' t know that aspartame had the ability to wreak such havok.

i'll keep a look out and may try getting off daily diet soda fixes to see if that affects me differently.

dude, weird how everything in our world is a hardcore narcotic!!! i guess it's not just the cigarette industry that's trying to hook people huh? :eek:

jin

Lamont
04-01-2003, 09:24 AM
I'm the opposite:

I had migraines from too much caffine. But now I just watch how much I consume...

agv
04-01-2003, 11:24 AM
I can say that I'm addicted to caffeine on the pyschological level too. "Oh, I need my coffee and a pastry to help me get started!" When you work lots of hours, and often by yourself, you feel you need a crutch like that.

Regarding aspartame, I stopped cold turkey. I was having a condition called Restless Legs Syndrome, in which your legs have a nervous flinch when you try to sleep. It was getting terrible and I couldn't get a good night's sleep. I cut off the diet soda and the problem went away immediately.

Epita
04-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Im not addicted to anything (bar LW)

but just as a comparison, 30+ ppl at my school were thrown out last year on drugs relatied issues, these guys pop pills some even chase dragons (cheesee) so i must be doing ok then, not even hooked on choc, (i dont like it)

unless some certian hand acctivites count?

Epita

Prosprctor
04-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Gee, I am really bad off after reading these comments:(

Starting at 6am untill 11 pm in front of computer on LW 7 days a week, I go thru 6 of those 10 cup automatic coffee pots (I got a 4 cup mug I use), daily.

A good dose (2 large bags of M&Ms)
and 3 packs ciggys,
But I don't drink or do drugs, so I am A-OK.

I might look like Tweak from South Park, but between eye contractions I can see great :D

Soda of choice (since I was coming thru moms falopian tube) has been Coke
Now Coke Classic but see myself more and more going towards Vanilla Coke (could be reminising of old days of the soda fountains)

But the coffee is shipped from the east coast in 5 pound bags of beans (6 a month) from Dunkin Doughnuts (actually THE BEST coffee out there)

I haven't seen any withdrawl symptoms at all tho.

Prosprctor
04-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Gee, I am really bad off after reading these comments:(

Starting at 6am untill 11 pm in front of computer on LW 7 days a week, I go thru 6 of those 10 cup automatic coffee pots (I got a 4 cup mug I use), daily.

A good dose (2 large bags of M&Ms)
and 3 packs ciggys,
But I don't drink or do drugs, so I am A-OK.

I might look like Tweak from South Park, but between eye contractions I can see great :D

Soda of choice (since I was coming thru moms falopian tube) has been Coke ( I wouldn't come out till I knew a bottle weas waiting for me)
Now Coke Classic but see myself more and more going towards Vanilla Coke (could be reminising of old days of the soda fountains)

But the coffee is shipped from the east coast in 5 pound bags of beans (6 a month) from Dunkin Doughnuts (actually THE BEST coffee out there)

I haven't seen any withdrawl symptoms at all tho.:)

Prosprctor
04-01-2003, 02:14 PM
OOPs
finger twitched and sent twice:D :D

Lamont
04-01-2003, 02:16 PM
And coffee has affected you how?

"Smoking crack hasn't affected me... affected me... affected me... affected me..." - Crack Head.

riki
04-01-2003, 04:05 PM
What is "aspartame" never heard of it??

jin choung
04-01-2003, 04:52 PM
artificial sweetener commonly sold as nutrasweet... an alternative to sacharine... they're all zero calorie sweeteners....

nutrasweet is everywhere... almost all diet sodas....

jin

agv
04-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Aspartame is the artificial sweetener used to make Nutrasweet.

Opps...someone just beat me to the answer.

Digital_red
04-01-2003, 06:04 PM
I dont drink Tea, coffee, Alcohol or caffeine softdrinks (if i can avoid them).
I do drink a lot of milk, pure orange juice and water
and I dont smoke.

My mates think im some kind of a robot. I rarely get ill and if I do I recover very quickly. I also tend to heal fast as well.

And no, I'm not some kind of health freak. But if I have to work long and late I break out the Red Bull :).

Now that stuff is Bad. I hear its illegal in France. Good for keeping me awake on long drives ect.

"Gives you wings"

PHilly[Dee]
04-01-2003, 07:13 PM
My wife just DARED me to quit drinking coffee for one day, to see if I was addicted to caffine... so far so goodddoodddd.d.ed..d.d ....

(can't wait 'till tomorrow when the bet's over... :D:D:D)

CoMetX
04-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Aspartain also damages your liver about 10x more then regular sugar. I dunno, i'll stick to the real deal..

Lightwolf
04-02-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Digital_red
And no, I'm not some kind of health freak. But if I have to work long and late I break out the Red Bull :).

Now that stuff is Bad. I hear its illegal in France. Good for keeping me awake on long drives ect.
Try Guarana (it is an extract from a south american cherry type of fruit). Basically a caffeine, but it lasts longer than a caffeine dose and it better for your stomach. You can get it in drinks, as powder or as chewy little gums.
That is the kind of stuff that can keep me going for days (Which, fortunately, rarely has to happen).
As always, try to avoid tight deadlines :D

Epita
04-02-2003, 01:31 AM
yeah, caffine addicts all over here. just remember kids Drugs are bad Mmkayy. not that that will stop anyone tho.

Epita

Rory_L
04-02-2003, 02:20 AM
Four cups of blk/no-sug coffee at the weekend, followed by headaches that make me vomit.

Two litres of green tea through the week; no sickness, but I keep longing for the black stuff. What can you do? :D

R

Lightwolf
04-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Rory_L
Four cups of blk/no-sug coffee at the weekend, followed by headaches that make me vomit.

Two litres of green tea through the week; no sickness, but I keep longing for the black stuff. What can you do? :D

Intravenous caffeine?:D
(kids, don't try this at home)

mastermesh
04-04-2003, 08:59 AM
I drink about 2 pots of coffee a day at work... it is evil. At one point in time in college, I was staying up late studying for exams, and drinking tons of coffee... it got so bad I actually had to have 3 cups of coffee at every meal or my headache got so bad that my head felt like it would explode and my heart beat went out of sync... it SUCKED... during one of the finals that year, I actually downed a full 2 liter of mt. dew during the exam... DO NOT EVER MIX COFFEE AND MT. DEW IN THE SAME CUP - IT IS THE WORST FLAVOR YOU WILL EVER TASTE IN YOUR LIFE! I'm starting to watch the coffee intake, but it's hard to resist... 2 years ago, my binge coffee drinking was gone and I was doing mt. dew - I actually drank 11 Code Reds out of a 12 pack one day about a year ago from the time I got to work at 8:00 am until I had a lunch break at 11:00 am. That HURT my teeth a lot from the sugar... it actually was painful on my teeth to drink the last couple of those... a few months later I started on coffee again since it seems to be less painful and dangerous than mt. dew. On a side note - the coffee seems to be helping my diet in some way...

lone
04-04-2003, 10:59 AM
found these candies at the drug store the other day, called CAFE INTENSE - coffee-beverage flavored, with caffeine added (2 candies = 1 beverage).
about a year or so ago, a college student died from CAFFEINE POISONING. she took enough NO-DOZ to equal more than 100 cups of coffee (104 or 140, i forget which).
an employee at BORDERS told me he drinks what he calls a LIGHTNING BOLT - a JOLT COLA with a double shot of espresso.

Rory_L
04-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Coffee`s actually good for you. They`re developing a skin cancer treatment with it.

...So, don`t drink it: rub it all over! :D

R

froggyplat
04-05-2003, 12:28 PM
once, when i was in college i pulled an all-nighter to do a 10 page paper (that i started that evening). i drank a triple-espresso after popping a couple of no-doze or something. i wrote the whole damn paper in like 5 hours in the computer lab (this was back before even grandma's had them). my fingers were shaking so bad i thought i was going to explode. i got sick for a couple of days, too, lol.

now i'm down to 3 cups or so a day or reg. coffee. but, if i don't hit it in the afternoon i'll get a headache.

aw, hell, i got an "A" on the paper, anyway.

tubal_c
04-05-2003, 12:40 PM
I pound out about 12 cups of NY Deli coffee a day. I used to get serious headaches everyday around 5pm when I got home and my home fix was coffee. When I finally Quit smoking cigs I was told that it would be harder to quit coffee do to the headaches then I realize the 5pm headaches were because I had no coffee intake for about and hour and half. At home I started mixing decaf and regular. I did notice if I drank Starbucks coffee I can't drink anymore coffee for the rest of the day, it totally rips my stomache and plus it soooo nasty. I get the can't focus, sore legs, major headaches, irritable, symptoms when I have no coffee.

mastermesh
04-07-2003, 10:40 AM
but Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans are not so good - I had some of those things in Las Vegas about 2 years ago - yuck.

mattclary
04-07-2003, 11:03 AM
12 cups of coffee? Man, how can I say this without being crude... Let's just say coffee has a laxative effect and can make you vomit. I've had both from No-Doze. It's an 18 hour trip from Tallahasse to Abilene, Tx (Dyess AFB), I took No-Doze a couple of times until that one bad trip :( , after that, I swore off caffeine while on the road. Kinda funny in retrospect. Ever hurl into a big-gulp cup in the middle of Dallas rush hour traffic? You haven't lived until you have. :cool:

Bwwwwaahhhhh... I am Cornholio! hehehehehe... anyone ever see that episode? Beavis ODed on Jolt or something.

tubal_c
04-07-2003, 06:41 PM
I got to the point if I drove by a certain bill board sign I must have a cup in my hand. I drank coffee every day at the same time. NY Deli and Dunking donuts coffee to bother my gutt. But Starbucks and the rest of the $$$ coffee makes me real sick.

BeeVee
04-08-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by agv
Regarding aspartame, I stopped cold turkey. I was having a condition called Restless Legs Syndrome, in which your legs have a nervous flinch when you try to sleep. It was getting terrible and I couldn't get a good night's sleep. I cut off the diet soda and the problem went away immediately.

I also have RLS, but I don't have much aspartame in my diet. However, a tablet of folic acid before I go to bed helps me stop keeping my wife awake by kicking out... :)

B

PS. Geez, we sound like old men. We're going to start talking about which colostomy bag is better on here soon... :)

mattclary
04-08-2003, 05:47 AM
That would be the ColonMAX 2500 with the 200mil, tri-layer, polylaminate sheathing. ;)

BeeVee
04-08-2003, 05:58 AM
Personally I prefer the Kakaloni, by Colostonio. I find it's sleeker and more hide-able than the ColonMAX, notwithstanding the ColonMAX's obvious (and I do mean obvious) extra capacity (or should that be capa-sh1tty?)

:)

B

riki
04-08-2003, 06:29 AM
haha way to go. What about the Dual Supa Sack MX with rechargeable poo-sucking turbo -drive, and shear skin tone panti-casing for those intimate moments :-)

BeeVee
04-08-2003, 06:35 AM
Ooh! Haven't seen that one. Are you modelling it in your avatar and discreetly hiding it with a newspaper? :)

B

Hervé
04-08-2003, 11:44 PM
..... and dont tell me no ONE doing LW ever smoked a splifff ?

"Stay away from sodas", but drink a glass of red wine every other day...

Rory_L
04-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by BeeVee
Ooh! Haven't seen that one. Are you modelling it in your avatar and discreetly hiding it with a newspaper? :)

B
Yes: he modeled it in Copro (Lite), `the 3D soft that`s really sh!t`TM

R