PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric Lights Alpha?

RobertRhino
07-18-2004, 02:45 PM
OK I need to have my volume lights to have a value in the alpha channel for compositing, they don't show up at all! Is there anyway to capture the volume light infor for the alpha channel?
Thanks
Robert

Triple G
07-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Not that I'm aware of, but why not just render them over a black background and then comp it in screen mode?

RUdiger
07-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Alpha for volumetric lights comes from their opacity.

Triple G
07-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Well....guess that shows you how often I use volumetric lights...:p

RobertRhino
07-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Increasing the opacity made the light volumetrics visable in the alpha but the shadows do not show up. Without the shadows this does not work for me I am doing flying logos and such so the the object shadows in the volume lights alpha is vital important. I need to be able to composite in After Effects, etc.. There has to be a way. Also the Volume light opacity does not produce the falloff but rather just an even blanket where ever the light is. I am going to have to use Electric Image, XSI, Maya, Cinema 4D or 3d Studio Max since Lightwave can't produce Volumetric Light/Shadow information in the Alplha channel, all the other apps do so. Somebody write a patch, please.

RobertRhino
07-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Increasing the opacity made the light volumetrics visable in the alpha but the shadows do not show up. Without the shadows this does not work for me I am doing flying logos and such so the the object shadows in the volume lights alpha is vital important. I need to be able to composite in After Effects, etc.. There has to be a way. Also the Volume light opacity does not produce the falloff but rather just an even blanket where ever the light is. I am going to have to use Electric Image, XSI, Maya, Cinema 4D or 3d Studio Max since Lightwave can't produce Volumetric Light/Shadow information in the Alplha channel, all the other apps do so. Somebody write a patch, please.

RobertRhino
07-19-2004, 11:50 PM
I got this link from fellow forum member mrgrusin. It works perfect! I ran some tests and it looks fantastic! Hurray I don't have to use another app, I love light wave!

To get Lightwave to generate an alpha channel which includes volumetric lights, glows, etc., try this plugin: http://www.ats-3d.com/post_Alpha/index.htm. Works great, and it's even free.

RobertRhino

Triple G
07-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Good to know! Thanks for that link. (Which is broken, btw...the period at the end of "htm" got included in the url).

RobertRhino
07-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Oops!

http://www.ats-3d.com/post_Alpha/index.htm

This is a free plugin.
Thanks
RobertRhino

Exper
07-20-2004, 09:47 AM
You can use the Image Filter "Flare2Alpha" in LW[8].