PDA

View Full Version : OT: Photoshop 7

adrian
07-18-2004, 02:38 AM
Hi,

Apolgies for this being a little OT.

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded from Photoshop 7 to CS and no longer wants version 7 and if so would they be interested in selling it to me.

I'm asking here as I really don't want to buy software on Ebay (been warned not to) and I have been informed by Adobe themselves that they will only sell CS which I do not want.

Adrian.

bloontz
07-18-2004, 08:09 AM
That wouldn't be legal.

adrian
07-18-2004, 08:21 AM
What wouldn't be legal??!!

There's nothing illegal selling software that you no longer want/use and transferring the registration information to a new owner which is what I'm looking to do.

I bought After Effects 4.1Pro from a LightWaver via these forums (he'd upgraded to 5.5 I believe) and Adobe were fine with that.

Software piracy is precisely the reason I will not buy off e-bay. I'm not interested in anything other than the genuine product.

Adrian.

bloontz
07-18-2004, 08:45 AM
You can sell a license to software if the the manufacturer agrees to transfer said license. That generally means that you relinquish your right to use any version of that software which you own unless you purchased a seperate FULL license for a given version, in which case you retain the license to use that version (if you've paid for upgrades for that license you can also use those). If you don't think that is true contact Adobe and they will tell you.

sadkkf
07-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Not long ago I upgraded a version of Paint Shop Pro and while I was on the phone during registration, I asked if I could give my old copy to someone else. After checking, the register person told me that would be fine.

If there is nothing explicitly stated in the license agreement, it may be worth a phone call to Adobe.

adrian
07-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Yep - I've already checked (before posting this thread) whether it would be okay to buy a second-hand legal version of PS7 and then transfer the licence to me. They said no problem as they have discontinued distributing PS7 now CS is out - providing the copy is legal of course.

As previously stated I did this once before with AE4.1.

So now all I have to do is find someone who wants to sell their PS7!!

Adrian.

bloontz
07-19-2004, 09:55 AM
I've owned photoshop since version 2 and have upgraded to most versions since then. I own 1 license to photoshop regardless of how many upgrades I purchased. If I were to sell my license I would no longer be able to legally use any version of the software. Here is a link to the photoshop cs license agreement, read it and you will see - http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/cs_combined.pdf

If your version of AE was legally transfered to you by adobe then the person you purchased it from is no longer leagally allowed to use that license for any version.

Just trying to help here, carefully read sections 4.4 and 5 of that license agreement.

adrian
07-19-2004, 03:42 PM
<sigh>

well... whatever.

It's illegal to park on double-yellow lines as well but do you ever do it? Hell, it's even illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas Day here in England (and I'm not joking - there's some obscure ancient law) - yet I never read about people being carted off to the slammer for indulging in "illegal" activity.

So how is me owning a second-hand copy of PS7 going to hurt Adobe? Yes, I appreciate what it says in the license agreement but are they really going to prosecute someone for using a legal version?

Even the chump at Adobe I spoke to said I could do it - and I did make it very clear the hypothetical situation that if someone had bought another version of PS, wanted to sell the old version to me and the registration be transfered to my name would that be ok? Answer: YES!

Technically you are correct what you are saying - but there are lots of things that are technically illegal that people do which do not harm anyone.

Anyway this looks like it's all immaterial as it looks as though no-one has PS7 to sell in any case.

Apologies if this post has come across as rude - it's not meant to be, I'm just trying to make a point.

Adrian.

P.S. I cannot believe the amount of pirated stuff being sold on Ebay? Why do they allow it to continue? Why aren't those people banned from selling stuff?

bloontz
07-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey, it makes no difference to me what other people do, just wanted to point out that what you were asking for wasn't legal. Not a good idea to ask for an illegit transaction on a public forum. If you can get someone to transfer their license to you, you are a legit owner with nothing to worry about, it's the other persons problem if they continue to use the software after the transfer.

And that is hilarious about the mince pie thing. Laws aren't always beneficial and I feel that large companies like adobe often promote laws that aren't in the public interest. I really dislike the way that adobe and others try to patent aspects of software like tabbed palettes. Hopefully the patent laws will be changed to prevent that type of garbage.

trygve
07-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by adrian

So how is me owning a second-hand copy of PS7 going to hurt Adobe? ?

This is simple to answer.

If a person upgrades from Photoshop 7 to CS he only pay 1/4 of the full price of the software. If someone sells Photoshop 7 to you after upgrading to CS, he then gets the full package for a fraction of the price other pays.

Then you could do the same - upgrade to CS for 1/4 of the price, and sell the 7-version to another person.

Adobe hurts because their software sells for 1/4 of the original price even to new customers. You don't make money that way.

This is of course the same for all software. Some software, like Maya, are not even allowed to sell to others without permission.

sadkkf
07-19-2004, 07:23 PM
How can I sell my copy of 7 when I need that serial number when upgrading to CS? The serial number stays with the CD, right?

jevinstudios
07-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Don't blame ya, Adrian. I don't want CS either, hence I've stuck with v. 7 for good. If I wasn't using this license, I'd give it to you "pro bono".

bloontz
07-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by jevinstudios
Don't blame ya, Adrian. I don't want CS either, hence I've stuck with v. 7 for good. If I wasn't using this license, I'd give it to you "pro bono".

Same here, no interest in CS whatsoever. Adrian, you may want to take a look at Painter, it's cheaper and a good alternative. There are also some free alternatives like gimp.

theo
07-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Same here with the CS thing- I am sticking with PS 7 and not going beyond.

Adobe has infuriated me on so many occasions that I am now actively exploring and using various alternatives.

I guess I am officially a geek now that Adobe no longer appeals to me.

I have been an Illustrator user for years but upgrades in the last few years have been lousy in terms innovation.

adrian
07-20-2004, 03:08 AM
The really ironic thing for me is.... I would have bought a brand new spanking version of 7 when it was out but I just didn't have the money then.... I guess in hindsight I should have pointed this out to start with then people wouldn't have thought I was trying to get illegal warez....

Anyway, now I have the dough they ain't selling it!!! I've been warned off CS by so many people I'm not going near it. So Adobe are hurting themselves by not making available this popular previous version.

I've even checked local resellers and they don't sell it either because it's no longer available so they tell me to go to Ebay... no thank you, I'm not buying something on CDR- I'd rather use an antequated legal version (I'm using 5).

I have found a further 8 re-sellers via the Net so we'll see if I have any luck....

Adrian.

theo
07-20-2004, 06:56 AM
If Adobe isn't selling PS7 and you can't find it ANYWHERE legally- go cracked.

Not ALL software on Ebay and the Yahoo auctions is cracked anyways- I am sure if you stick with it a little while longer that PS7 legit will pop up. But then again- with the control experiment Adobe is engaged in right now maybe PS7 will become the defacto copy to own. Hmmmm.....

adrian
07-20-2004, 09:22 AM
SUCCESS! I found a dealer through Amazon.co.uk who has an unopened, unregistered copy for 489.

I don't think I'm saving that much money with this deal but the main thing is that it's PS7 with no hassles with licenses.

BTW Theo what do you mean by "the control experiment Adobe is engaged in...."

Adrian.

toby
07-20-2004, 03:15 PM
So why doesn't anyone like CS?

ghopper
07-20-2004, 03:18 PM
here is a better deal, that is if you don't need a box:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=185&item=3689302301&rd=1

Dickigeeza
07-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Yea I'm with Toby whats the problem with CS, I use it PS extensivley and have no problems at all.

Rich

theo
07-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Just one of the problems is that Adobe has now become a pawn of multinational banks by agreeing to disallow the scanning of the latest currency with its software- it has the ability to look for watermarks or something in that order to hinder this action.

NO ONE company has the right to control how I use their software in creative projects. As long as I am respecting their copyrights and their right to profit they need to mind their own business, even if I am engaging in
illegal activity (which of course I am not) they are not COPS and have no business regulating me.

What's wrong with stopping people from scanning money you say? Well at its face value nothing, but the precedent it sets is far worse. This may be just the tip of the iceberg in the long run my friends.

Essentially I DO NOT trust Adobe.

Dickigeeza
07-20-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't normally bite on the political issues, but theres a lot worse out there to worry about than a computer software company.

theo
07-20-2004, 04:58 PM
I agree- but it just so happens that one of the issues that I follow intently is the issue of public privacy and corporate control and tracking.

And in my opinion this is an issue that is huge but well under the radar screens of average citizens of most countries.

Dick- you are from the UK one of the most governmental camera-heavy countries on the planet. We in the US are not far behind.

I can debate this issue with a lot of vigor and common-sense but will cut it short for the sake of this thread.

Dickigeeza
07-21-2004, 06:42 AM
Fair comment theo,

But in their defence, some of the footage captured by those "Big Brother" cameras do make for some very entertaining documentary viewing, on the nocturnal habits of the late night drinkers trying to make thier way home after a heavy night out :-)

Rich

theo
07-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Oh I am sure-

But in the same token this "funny" side of what I consider a highly invasive process is used to soften negative public perceptions.