PDA

View Full Version : TE & Matrox

sptbg_vt_geek
03-29-2003, 10:07 PM
I have had problems importing an AVI into ToasterEdit that has a Matrox codec. It'll lock up my TE, and I'll have to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of it. Am I the only one having this prob?

My set-up:
P4 2.4GHz
1GB Ram
80GB Video RAID
VT2, 2nd to latest build (Forgot the number? :confused: )

Paul Lara
03-30-2003, 12:01 AM
Do not use Video Toaster on a machine that has the Matrox DV codecs installed.

Uninstall any Matrox codecs on a Toaster machine.

The Matrox DV codecs perform a modification to the default behavior of DirectShow that causes VideoToaster to function incorrectly. The source of this problem is based in the fact that the Matrox codecs replace the default asynchronous file reading filter with a custom filter that is used when single stream AVI files are used. The Matrox filter appears to have a bug that can cause it to lock up when seeks are performed in certain circumstances (which occur with the VideoToaster file readers.)

Matrox DV codecs allow applications that are unable to use the Microsoft DirectShow DV support to be able to read DV files. In other words, Matrox is providing legacy Video-for-windows support for DV provided by a number of different codecs. Since the VideoToaster uses the new “DirectShow” technology that supersedes Video for Windows, it does not require the Matrox codecs to play back.

The Matrox DV codecs are not required to use the VideoToaster; T[2] will load files written by the Matrox DV solutions without the codecs installed.

sptbg_vt_geek
03-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Paul.....
My VT System doesn't have any Matrox codecs. I used to edit with a Matrox RT2000 but totally rebuilt my system to upgrade to VT2. It locks up just when I try to import an AVI that is Matrox Encoded.

djlithium
04-13-2003, 08:04 AM
Hey there...
Before the days of the T2 in our studio we had the RT-2500 system installed in one box and the AVI software codec support installed on all the other systems for play back in other apps like after effects.

When we got the T2 and installed it into a fresh system, we had not problems. Then we tried pulling in an AVI from the Matrox system over the network unaware that the matrox codec was something really that wonky. Bang. System nearly folded in on itself. Just opening the AVI on the T2 system (without T2 actually running) created a mess of problems.
I tried installing the software support for the codec, and while I could get it to open, T2 would not load again and play any thing without exiting out. Removing the codec from the didn't help at all. I eventually gave up and redid the machine completely as it was pretty fresh to begin with and was faster then mucking around.

If you are tempted in putting that software support codec installation on your T2 as a work around (or an attempt at one) don't do it. Take Paul's advice and learn from my experience... Once you take the dark path... forever will it dominate your destiny! :) Well at least until you redo the OS.

sptbg_vt_geek
04-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by djlithium
Hey there...
Before the days of the T2 in our studio we had the RT-2500 system installed in one box and the AVI software codec support installed on all the other systems for play back in other apps like after effects.

When we got the T2 and installed it into a fresh system, we had not problems. Then we tried pulling in an AVI from the Matrox system over the network unaware that the matrox codec was something really that wonky. Bang. System nearly folded in on itself. Just opening the AVI on the T2 system (without T2 actually running) created a mess of problems.
I tried installing the software support for the codec, and while I could get it to open, T2 would not load again and play any thing without exiting out. Removing the codec from the didn't help at all. I eventually gave up and redid the machine completely as it was pretty fresh to begin with and was faster then mucking around.

If you are tempted in putting that software support codec installation on your T2 as a work around (or an attempt at one) don't do it. Take Paul's advice and learn from my experience... Once you take the dark path... forever will it dominate your destiny! :) Well at least until you redo the OS.

Thanx DJ! Since I posted that I bought a new system drive (120GB :D ) and totally rebuilt it w/ Win2K and TEd and all.

Thanx though!

djlithium
04-19-2003, 07:38 PM
Oh, well looks like problem is solved :)

Damd those matrox products! (what a piece of crap the RT-2500 was with the G-450 card...lamest product I have ever used for cutting video)...

sptbg_vt_geek
04-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Oh, well looks like problem is solved :)

Damd those matrox products! (what a piece of crap the RT-2500 was with the G-450 card...lamest product I have ever used for cutting video)...

Can dj get an AMEN?!?!?
:D

djlithium
04-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Matrox = evil montreal based company.

EVIL. As in full on starbucks drinking suspended animation cryogenics doctor of...

:)

sptbg_vt_geek
04-21-2003, 05:33 PM
Matrox = evil montreal based company.

EVIL. As in full on starbucks drinking suspended animation cryogenics doctor of...

:)

You didn't know matrox had 3 corporate divisions? "Professional video", graphics cards, and evil scientists

sptbg_vt_geek
04-21-2003, 05:34 PM
PS, Nice site DJ

djlithium
04-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Oh, thanks.

I had major server issues this weekend so I am still putting stuff together.

Also had to do some more scribbling for some articles I am working on. Hope to have someone post those somewhere useful soon (that was a hint paul!)

Streaming feature films anyone??

;)

Check out www.kyxpyx.net btw when you get a chance... some goodies there.

harpert
07-08-2003, 08:44 AM
I've got numerous batch captured AVI and WAV files using my RT-X.100 and its firewire interface. I was told I could use the VT2 and eventually the VT3 to edit, storyboard and play back those files. From reading in this thread, I shouldn't be using Matrox generated files in the VT2 or VT3 due to a codec compatibility problem. I hate to get rid of these files and capturing all over again. I don't like editing in Adobe Premiere and prefer VT ToasterEdit since I cut my editing teeth on the Flyer. Should I start all over again by deleting those files and pulling out my RT-X.100 card and wait for VT3 to come out to do batch capturing?

Tom H. :)

harpert
07-11-2003, 07:11 AM
I'd like to use the RT-X.100's batch capturing/scene cut capability and storyboard on the VT since I have both boards. From all I've read in this thread, I'll experience problems with the Matrox codecs-generated clips running in the VT. I understand the Xtreme upgrade (which I haven't obtained yet) will interleave video and audio into one file; capturing using Matrox tools separates video and audio which can't be linked in the VT. My question: For VT3, do I have to produce an EDL and then have VT3 use that EDL to batch capture the footage? Or, does VT3 automatically find scene cuts and batch captures in one pass like the RT-X.100 does? If VT3 does batch capture and finds scene cuts like the RT-X.100 and/or if RT-X.100 files won't work in the VT3, I might as well take out my RT-X.100 anyway.

Tom H. :)

mrjaialai
07-12-2003, 10:18 AM
The Matrox M-JPEG codec works fine with T2. Can you convert the files to that?

harpert
07-12-2003, 05:40 PM
I'm not aware of a utility to convert AVI files to M-JPEG. What I do know is that I have separate video and audio files ready for editing on Adobe Premiere and those can't be linked in VT2. I'll have to re-capture the video footage using VT2 and finding the scene cuts myself. It makes no sense in using Adobe Premiere to do the capturing if I have VT2. I might have to install my new 80 gig system drive with a dual boot capability to run both VT2 or the RT-X.100. I hope that when VT3 comes along and I get it running on my PC, I can pull out my RT-X.100 and sell it. Is anyone interested?

Tom H.