PDA

View Full Version : time to ditch the robo help help pages.

stib
07-17-2004, 07:46 AM
Please just lose the bells and (broken) whistles help page. The thing takes longer to load off the hard disk than this web page does from the other side of the world. On a dial-up too! And then half the time it's broken and needs reloading.

No-one wants to see animated doohickeys when they're asking a help question, so why the splash screen and all the page elements sliding all over the place? The only thing it lacks is some <blink> tags. It would definitely qualify for a webpagesthatsuck.com award if it were on the web.

Please NT, look at the HTML based help pages you get with adobe After effects for an example. No-nonsense, fully working, quick and useful.

UnCommonGrafx
07-17-2004, 10:13 AM
{shyly he says}
Yeah, what he said.
Simple would be better. I understand the desire to "flex one's Flash muscles", but info is best served with as few impediments as possible.
Pieces of flash would be fine. More text and use of the web browser scroller would be great!

Matt
07-17-2004, 10:38 AM
I agree; docs should be clean, well structured and to the point.

If they're HTML based - make sure you use cascading style sheets so the user can change the font should a nasty one be chosen! :)

bloontz
07-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Is it just me or is the search fuction useless? I always seem to get a bunch of pages with no reference to the item I searched for and the pages that do have relevent info I have to hunt through the (often very long) page to find what I'm searched for.

FONGOOL
07-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Yeah, the search function is practically useless. They should license a real search engine that makes some attempt to determine a priority for the results instead of just alphabetically listing every topic that has the search term in it somewhere.

Or just remove the search altogether and stop taunting us...

:D

UnCommonGrafx
07-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Fongool,
DAMMED (GLAD THEY ONLY USE THE SPELLED RIGHT VERSION)

They don't have to do all that. Just go flash with not so many extra featueres.

What my point is is that they should implement it right; not tell you how to use it with all it's foibles.

Enjoying the weekend!,

riki
07-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Search is working for me. It wasn't working on the last version.

FONGOOL
07-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Do all what? Make it actually useful?:D

I think Newtek should look at the way programs like Photoshop and Word do their help. Without a reasonably useful search function the whole thing is nearly pointless. Might as well just bring up the pdf manual in an acrobat window...

Even something as simple as sorting the results with topics that have the search term IN THE TOPIC'S TITLE on top would be an improvement, and that's pretty sad.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly better than nothing...

...And while they're at it, they could fix some simple UI concepts like automatically making the "-search-" go away when you start typing into the field! Dunno how many times I've had a search come up with no reults only to discover -search- appended to the end of my search terms... LOL

UnCommonGrafx
07-17-2004, 08:15 PM
As a designer, telling me to do it like them just ... pisses me off. :confused:
Tell'em what you want. Metaphors are hard to capture.

I want text. And a graphic on occasion. But a slider function in a browser is a waste as the browser already has that built-in. Pulling one down to get to the other is retarded. {I work with special ed so I use that term with experience.}
I've done the same for clients and they've told me the same thing: for when it's time, give me the goods; otherwise, let me read it and get out of the way!"
http://ccelaine.com
She refused to have scrollers inside of scrollers. Thus was born the "Next" button.

Let William flex his muscles, yes, but this is not the best use of flash.

BeeVee
07-19-2004, 02:57 AM
William didn't do the page layout... Wrote a lot of the manual? Yes, but the page layout, nah...

B

UnCommonGrafx
07-19-2004, 05:10 AM
Great. Then I don't feel so bad.:D

WizCraker
07-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Compiled Help files are the only way to go.

Take for instance the DX 9 SKD Update 2004 it has 100 times amount of information than the LW 8 help file and it is only 12 MB. It is user friendly and easy to do a search to find the info.

RobertRhino
07-20-2004, 12:10 AM
I like the Robohelp it is a huge improvement from nothing. LW8 is awesome!!!

stib
07-20-2004, 12:18 AM
it is a huge improvement from nothing.

Now that's Damming with faint praise if ever I heard it. Yes, It's at least a 50% improvement from no help at all.

[Yes I know it's spelt with an 'n', but the incorrect version gets through the obscenity filter. Can't believe what some people find offensive - land mines that maim children are offensive; words aren't.]

RobertRhino
07-20-2004, 12:28 AM
I can honestly say it has been useful to me. I got stuck looked it up on a search and got the answers I was needing, I like it. I hope it gets better and better.
RobertRhino