PDA

View Full Version : Inside LightWave 8 book DVD accident

Martin Adams
07-16-2004, 06:31 AM
Hey all,

I receive my copy of Inside LightWave 8 this morning shipped to the UK from Amazon.com. All in all, it still turned out cheaper to get it from the states than to order it here in the UK ... crazy.

However, I can't believe what happened. I put the accompanying DVD in my PC and started to have a look at some of the videos. Before I could get anywhere I could hear a really bad noise from my drive. I took the DVD out and it was scratched like hell. I can't read any of the videos from the disk.

Here are my options...

1. Contact New Riders and see if I can get a disk exchange. I assume I'd have to post it to them in the states.

2. Send the disk for repair to one of the companies here in the UK

3. Wait until I go to the ECTS games show in September and see if they have the stalls that do disk repairs there.

Which one would you pick?

First impressions of the book are very good! I also got the Jeff Lew Character Animation DVD which is absolutely superb! Itís very well presented, informative and well structured. Definitely worth the price for anyone interested in character animation.

reverie
07-16-2004, 08:18 AM
#1 :)

They may just send you another one w/o asking for the return of the original. That happened to me once, with a CD from a WOW book, I think. They publishers just sent me another CD.

Mr_Bester
07-16-2004, 09:16 AM
You could also try going to www.lwg3d.com and going to the forums. Once there, go into the 3DGarage forums. Dan goes in there frequently, and see if he has any better ideas.
Dug

Martin Adams
07-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I took your advice reverie, and emailed the publisher and they have told me a new disk is on its way.

Now that's good service!

Thanks for the link Mr_Bester. There's some intersting things on that site.

reverie
07-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Great news, Martin! :) It pays to buy books from a quality publisher, I guess.

I'd like to thank you, too -- your post gave me an idea. I took my DVD out, gave it a good cleaning, and -- whereas I was getting a bit of skipping in a couple of the movies -- the movies now play like a dream. I guess I'd put my grubby little paws on the DVD one too many times. I know it was my fault, too, cause I had no problems at all with the DVD the first time I played a few of the movies.

Life is good. :)

Oh, man -- that Cover Dude tut is great -- the part I've read so far. I peeked ahead and am delighted to see that there's a section on controlling splines, a process which I have trouble with. Sometimes my splines don't cross correctly -- like the neurons in my brain. I'm so looking forward to doing that crusty ol' man! I've been doing the giraffe, but I think I'll work on both alternately.

Minidragon, I was poking fun along with you -- and having a lot of fun in the process. I sure hope Dan's a good sport. :) BTW, I gotta get me some of that Red Bull. :D

FONGOOL
07-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Here in town we've got a chain of videogame stores that for a couple of bucks will buff the scratches off your discs for ya. Since they sell used games, they have the equipment on hand anyway.

Try calling places that sell used games or cds and see if they can help you. :)