PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph deals?

jin choung
07-16-2004, 02:29 AM
howdy,

well, siggraph is comin' up... any news on if there will be any compelling promotional deals?

a brief resurgence of any previous offers now that the reviews and first hand evaluations are out?

just wonderin'.

thanks.

jin

SBowie
07-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Hi Jin -- not a SIGGRAPH special really (most companies don't pre-announce these), but just to note that one unnanounced special:

Late last week (at my suggestion!) Bauhaus temporarily and quietly re-instated the Cross-Grade offer on Mirage 1.2 for LW users for the ommnth of July. Not only that, they sweetened it quite a bit - the current Special is $349. This is the same price as the Aura Upgrade special, a full $546.00 off the regular full retail cost, and $100 less than the introductory LW'er special from last year.

Bauhaus Web Store (http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/store.php)

(I'm probably biased, for more than one reason, but given the texture painting hooks between Mirage and LW, this seems like a no-brainer to me.)

EVEN BETTER NEWS: I'm goin' to SIGGRAPH this year ... Woohoo!!!

jin choung
07-18-2004, 01:08 AM
howdy,

well, i have aura 2.5 and that has the same lw link... i don't think it has evolved AT ALL....

and i regret to inform that i wasn't all that impressed with the aura version. it really is a subliminal advantage over my photoshop workflow.

actually, they should stick to touting their other features like particles and the new rotosplines (which does sound good)... talking about the link to lw from aura 2.5 like it's brand new really rubs me the wrong way.

jin

TheDevil
07-18-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by jin choung
talking about the link to lw from aura 2.5 like it's brand new really rubs me the wrong way.

jin

I love it Jin when you talk rude, nasty and with disrespect to those helpful people. Shows them that you are the boss. You are a great cool guy!!! :cool:

P.S. Don't bother praying to Superman. I killed him. :D :D :D

SBowie
07-18-2004, 01:35 PM
well, i have aura 2.5 and that has the same lw link... i don't think it has evolved AT ALL...

... talking about the link to lw from aura 2.5 like it's brand new really rubs me the wrong way.
Didn't mean to, Jin. You're right, the Mirage LW Viewer is very nearly (but not quite) identical to Aura's. I don't think I indicated differently, but if I did it was unintentional.

I'm surprised you don't like it, though -- a lot of LW'ers seem very pleased with it (whether the Aura or Mirage connection.) From my own personal viewpoint, which is by definition subjective and biased, I think it is especially nice to be able to do *animated* textures this way, as well as not having to fuss with grabbing and exporting UV maps via some more cumbersome mechanism. But to each his own.

theo
07-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Ah Steve Jin is an anarchist.... nobody'll please him. :D

jin choung
07-18-2004, 04:10 PM
hey sbowie,

i wasn't accusing you of anything. it's mirage itself that kinda irks me.

yah, animated texture maps may be a great application but in all my years of cg-ing... i've yet needed to do such a thing! well other than simply mapping a video sequence onto a card.

jin

p.s. as for 'the devil'... errr, wasn't being rude OR nasty. if you have trouble with the english language, please consult a good translator before you embarass yourself.

riki
07-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Hey SBowie, thanks for the tip on the Mirage deal.

I haven't checked the APP out properly yet but that looks like a really sweet price. It also looks like they're shipping internationally which I don't think was the case before. Something that Newtek doesn't do.

Normally I have to go through New Magic, which is also the Australian Distributor for Lightwave. Of course they add their cut which ends up costing me quite bit more.

New Magic's currently advertised price for Mirage is AUS$1599 (about US$1113). So if I can get it for $349, that a saving of around $764.

Now that really rubs me up the wrong way. But I think it's something worth getting upset about.

Thanks again for the tip.

SBowie
07-18-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by riki
Normally I have to go through New Magic, which is also the Australian Distributor for Lightwave. Of course they add their cut which ends up costing me quite bit more. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Bauhaus prefers to support the guy on the ground in your locale.

Their advertised price may not reflect this special, since it just happened, so why not at least give them a chance -- tell them to ask Bauahus if they can get the special pricing and extend it to you. Tell them to mention my name and this thread...

SBowie
07-18-2004, 07:20 PM
i wasn't accusing you of anything. it's mirage itself that kinda irks me. Jin, I really am interested in what you think would improve the LW integration, what you didn't like.

(I don't want to presume on this forum, though, so please feel free to e-mail me offlist on this topic! My e-mail address is in the sig below.)

riki
07-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Their advertised price is still way in excess of the normal Bauhaus price. Stop and think about it for a second, would you be happy to pay US$1100 for Mirage?

I gave them a chance when I bought the LW8 upgrade, but I still ended up paying about $200 bucks more.

jin choung
07-19-2004, 03:39 AM
hiya steve,

well it's no big secret and i think i've shared my opinion pretty openly since its appearance in aura 2.5....

it's not that i don't like it....

but it is of DUBIOUS advantage.... it is the 'big whoop' factor.

ok, so it reads the uv map from lw and that's fine and dandy... but honestly, is it much harder to simply use the eps exporter or the great free plugin 'uvimaginator' to make a painting template?

also, if they went to the trouble of getting the uvmap to aura via the hub, WHY NOT add a lil doohickey so that after you're done painting in aura, or even WHILE you're painting, it updated the image in lw-

BUT NOOOOOoooooo... it's a one way trip in the hub (from lw to aura only) and so you have to keep hitting UPDATE TEXTURE in lw - just like you would do when you paint your stuff in photoshop.

in max, there's a hub like thingy with photoshop (it's a commercial plugin i believe) so that if you lay down a stroke in photoshop, as soon as you switch back to max, you see that stroke on your model... in fact, i think you can keep a small max window open over photoshop and see in semi-real time how your paint job is coming out on the mesh.

now THAT's kinda cool...

it's not 3d paint and certainly not water to wine... but that's something to write home to momma about.

but what aura 2.5 did... i mean really... is it worth even touting as a feature?

it loads in the uv template from lw - i mean in this day and age, is that any big thing?

in regards to this as well as deciding to tout the inclusion of previously free plugins with the lw8 release, i think that some folks really have their sense of proportion and expectation out of calibration.

it's like turning on the light switch and yelling 'ta-da!!!' - just a bit embarassing for everyone else in the room.

jin

SBowie
07-19-2004, 06:02 AM
also, if they went to the trouble of getting the uvmap to aura via the hub, WHY NOT add a lil doohickey so that after you're done painting in aura, or even WHILE you're painting, it updated the image in lw That would be an improvement, for sure. Somewhere in the mist of time I read why, and I kind of think the issue was on the LW side, but I could be wrong.

As to the 'ta da' factor, I haven't noticed anyone making a big fuss about it anywhere apart from listing it as a feature .. which it is, even if you find it underwhelming Jin. It does seem convenient to me, saving a number of steps and also breaking out all of the texture attribute images into one tidy little control panel that can pop the images right into your paint program.

I was kind of hoping for a little longer list of things that would improve it...

theo
07-19-2004, 06:09 AM
Like I said Steve Jin is an anarchist.:D

SBowie
07-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Well, I'm all for blowing stuff up ... virtually, anyway. :)

riki
07-19-2004, 07:08 AM
No idea what anyones talk about I think I had one too many 'castro wives' at the soho bar. good day to ewe all.

jin choung
07-19-2004, 10:17 AM
actually,

i may be over-reacting.... it IS indeed a feature.

i guess when people bring it up, it just strikes me as that they're yelling ta-da but that may just be how i'm reading it.

yes, i am underwhelmed but that's certainly clear by now. i'll lay off of it.

as for more comments on how to make it better - well, it's a pretty basic kinda feature by nature. unless you're gonna make it a full on 3d paint, not much else to speak of.

and yah, it could very well be that the two way hub thing is lw's fault... i wouldn't be surprised.

jin

cresshead
07-19-2004, 02:42 PM
regarding realtime painting on your 3d objects...3ds max and combustion have a paint material that enables you to paint in combustion and see the model be painted upon in 3ds max in realtime..though combustion's paint capabilities such as brush types and natural media paints are "no where" in comparison to aura/mirage...still maybe digital fusion could get itself a lightwave live link like that of combustion [and discreet paint had one as well before combustion came along...max 3 days!]

also there's a 3d paint app called tattoo for around 30..not sure where it's at these days....

well i'm going off topic so i'll shut up!

......shutting up! [starwars robot speak!]

steve g;)