PDA

View Full Version : Hydra creature

Axis3d
07-15-2004, 02:25 PM
This is a Hydra creature built for a commercial (might be adding more heads to the creature). Built in LW8.

glassefx
07-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Looks great!

I thought hydras were supposed to have seven heads?

I think it would look cooler if each head was a slightly bit different.

coolness!

Axis3d
07-15-2004, 02:54 PM
thanks, glassefx

Yeah, I may be adding more heads. This is acually based on a logo that a company has (with 9 heads!). 7 is my preferred number. This was just a quick proof of concept frame. Still figuring out the best way to animate it. Bones give me the best control but makes alot to keep track of. Splinamate looked promising except that it distorts the entire object (I only want to use it on the neck).

david_B
07-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Personally I would be wary of any company that had that fella as their logo. If they offer to pay you in blood, just get out of there quickly. Or specify virgins blood.

The render looks nice though. Well done.

glassefx
07-16-2004, 06:59 AM
I think you could have great success with a good IK rig...

You could set up two goals that are parented to each other as goals... kind of like a lever arm thingy on backhoes...

The front goal would pull the head in and out, and the middle goal would bend the neck by pulling it up or pushing it down...

make any sense?

this with clever parenting... Throw in a coupl'a motion modifiers and poof! Hydra-Action!

peace.

Zarathustra
07-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Is there much of a body that we'll see? Otherwise, it should be pretty simple to just have a chain of bones for each neck and head.

I don't get the back of the neck. There are lines that look like texture edges. At first I thought it had huge scales like the underside, but the texture is scales so that didn't make sense to me.

9 headed hydra logo? That is weird for a company. I assume they're not something stuffy.

Axis3d
07-16-2004, 10:16 AM
glassefx- that was the first rig I made, with the method you described. It wasn't bad, but didn't allow for some of the more intricate poses because of all the IK. It also had some chatter in it when animating it (I would need to put some bend into the neck of the model first to avoid that). The FK bone chain allowed for some really nice poses. I wish Splinamate allowed you to terminate the spline at a certain point along the model.

The neck of the creature has some 'ribbing' running down it. Also, you will never see the body of the creature. And the logo is for a ride, not the actual company logo.

Zarathustra
07-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Can you post the original logo that you're basing this on?

-FP-
07-17-2004, 05:14 PM
I like this! It's very Harryhausen-y. I can almost see the cast foam rubber seams...

Kuzey
07-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Coolness....nice models!!

Kuzey

glassefx
07-19-2004, 09:45 AM
How many bones did you use for each neck not including the holder bone and the end bone which is following?

I was thinking about 2 or 3 would give you the right amount of control to shape the neck without it looking "segmented."

As far as chatter goes... Something is up with your rig which im sure you know... The idea I proposed could be added-to...To add controls to deform the neck side to side. The sky is the limit with rigging and therin lies your solution. I say screw splinate and get down to building a rig for one neck and get it tits and the add in the other necks... This way you have more time involved into keyframing instead of timewaiting...

peace and good luck!

glassefx
07-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Just thought of something concerning chatter...

Make sure your only making keys for the goal objects, just thought i'd remind ya...

Axis3d
07-19-2004, 12:49 PM
thanks for the suggestions. I ended up adding a slight 'S' bend to the neck which gives the bones a starting direction, much like you'd do with posing the arms or legs of a character. That took care of the chatter in the IK. I am also using intermediate goals to pose the neck. Yeah, I gave up on Splinamate - it was a good idea and really works great with posing the character, but I wish they could implement a little more control with it.

glassefx
07-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Do you mean there are goals for parts of the neck rather than just the end of the bone-chain? Like an elbow on a biped per say?

Just curious cause riggin' is what I love and I try to suck up all of the information I can digest. You may want to try some more complex parenting, especially for your goal objects... that way you dont have to constantly re-position all the goals just to make his head(s) extend... Example... like sometimes I've had success parenting an elbow's goal to a null that also is the parent of the bone-chain's end-goal. Make sense? I dont know what it is about LW's internal handeling of crap but my rigs always work smoother with a null in-between say the forarm and bicep, i.e - instead of making the end of the forearm where the goal seeker is set I'd parent it like this with the null being the "action-guy."

HOLD(s)--->Shoulder--->bicep--->NULL--->forearm--->SEEKER

At this point I am just rambling on about animation stuff so if something helps I'm glad...

Gotta go back to work now...

Again, Good Luck!

glassefx
07-19-2004, 01:47 PM
oh yeah...

Make sure NULL has ZERO rotation or movment (total constrant.)

this may be why It makes my rigs work better?

who knows?

peace...