PDA

View Full Version : Need help starting this model.

madheavy
07-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Hey all, I've been trying to learn more about modeling. I'm getting better with the whole sub-patch smooth shift method, and did the kayak Tim Albee spline tutorial.

However now I want to model this Star Wars fighter. What method do you suggest I start with and why? I've struggled with it for an 2 hours or so last night and any imput would be helpful.

Thanks

nerdyguy227
07-15-2004, 10:25 PM
I would suggest the box-modling technique because most of the model is made of very primitive shapes where you can make a few boxes and move their points arround for each section.

Rory_L
07-16-2004, 01:16 AM
I`d make the bits separately and join them later. the body looks like a deformed hemisphere, so I`d start with a ball, stretch flat the lower half and smooth shift extrude half the model along the x axis to get that flat bit at the top.

The cylindrical objects I`d make from...cylinders :) They`re just begging to be made that way. I`d then knife and smooth shift till they looked right.

When the main parts are looking roughly the way I want them to, that`s when I`d boolean them together, clean up the joins and then turn the model into a sub-div surface object. Again, edges that need to be crisper would be smooth shifted or bevelled using the DazEdgebevel, or the more flexible Jettobevel plugin. FI`s Wrinkle plugin might well get used too.

Hope this helps.

R