PDA

View Full Version : sky dome seam problems

jpbrooks
07-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Ok---I am creating a sky image with clouds, et al with sky tracer, baking it, and then mapping it onto a sphere. After playing around with---everything works and looks great up to this point. With the image ( I used a LW JPEG ) mapped onto the sphere; I am getting a really bad looking seam where the edges come together. I have tried both types of spheres; Tessalated and a globe; same issue.
Any suggestions ? Maybe a different type of image file from sky tracer ? :confused:

trick
07-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Unweld all points of the sphere in modeller...
Assign a spherical or cylindrical (whatever you need) UV projection...
UV map the image...
If needed adjust the mapping in texture view...
Weld the points back...

Seem gone !!!

jpbrooks
07-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by trick
Unweld all points of the sphere in modeller...
Assign a spherical or cylindrical (whatever you need) UV projection...
UV map the image...
If needed adjust the mapping in texture view...
Weld the points back...

Seem gone !!!

Thanks---I get the basic idea.

hunter
07-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Is that only in open gl or in an actual render?

david_B
07-16-2004, 01:07 AM
Another thing you may want to check is that you are applying the baked skytracer image onto a whole sphere, not just half a sphere.

jpbrooks
07-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by hunter
Is that only in open gl or in an actual render?

No seam in either. It works great.
And yes---I am using a full sphere.
After several tests---it appears the un welding of points for creating the UV map isn't necessary with LW7.5. And actually I found something about this in the tutorials on UV mapping.
Now--if I can just figure out how to bake some of those enormous Texas Thunderstorms in sky tracer !

trick
07-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by jpbrooks
it appears the un welding of points for creating the UV map isn't necessary with LW7.5...

It's necessary if you want to edit the mapping in the uv-texture view. For instance when you have to scale a sky texture to a half sphere (=dome). Only standard mapping types like cylindrical or spherical don't need the unwelding, but since a dome is not a standard mapping type you either have to edit the texture in the uv-view or vertically "double" the image in PShop, map it to a sphere and delete the lower half. In last case you don't need to unweld the vertices...but you need "more" ram to hold an image which is being used only half !!!!