PDA

View Full Version : Dual display - LW windows not staying where they are

JML
07-15-2004, 11:53 AM
I just installed a second screen at work and I setup LW
to have the scene,surface,image windows on the second screen.

but when I close and restart LW, all the windows are still open (good) but on the screen 1 !

how can I fix that ?
I know a lot of you have dual screen so I'm sure there is
a solution, right?

(my video card here is 9800pro 128mb but I don't think it should
matter for this problem)

thanks !

Bytehawk
07-15-2004, 05:02 PM
if I see correctly that 9800 is an ati card, right?

I can only tell you what I did with my nvidia card but maybe it'll help.

I setup my dual screens as a single spanning desktop. Windows sees this as one large widescreen monitor, the nvidia drivers take care of splitting the image over the 2 monitors.

This way all my LW windows stay where they were when you open or close them.

Nview takes care of the aximising across the 2 monitor problem.

hth

JML
07-15-2004, 05:20 PM
yes, it's an ati,
the dual screen setup works fine,
I put photoshop on the second screen with all its windows and
it reload them at the right place when I restart..

but the same thing doesn't work with LW windows..

thanks for the reply anyway

theo
07-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Hey JM-

I had this problem a while back and it just went away on its own.

Another thing too- are you using software similar to nVidia nView? If so, there should be the ability to set preferences for the open mode and position for the Lightwave window in question.

I have often used this feature for windows opening in finicky positions.

hunter
07-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Sorry, but if you're using an ati with the newer drivers it's been my experience that you're out of luck. I gave up and went with nvidia. It's not all ati's fault though. Photoshop, Premiere, adobe in general, work fine with remembering your windw positions with ati. It's the combo of LW and ati that stinks. :(

JML
07-16-2004, 06:10 AM
thanks everybody,
I guess I re-position them everytime I open LW.. or have
photoshop on the right screen..

mgrusin
07-16-2004, 12:14 PM
I've only glanced at it, but LW8 seems to have a window-position-management-gadget in one of the first menus in Modeler. Could this help?

-MG.

Brazilian
08-08-2004, 01:17 AM
I've only glanced at it, but LW8 seems to have a window-position-management-gadget in one of the first menus in Modeler. Could this help?
Unfortunately not. You can program the L8 window manager to remember these positions, but they still open crammed to the right side of your primary monitor. When you use the "Open XXX" button from the window manager whose X position is off the primary monitor, you'll see the window open crammed to the right and then it will jump over to where you set it to. However, opening the surface editor through Layout normally doesn't work, the window just jams up against the right again.

NewTek REALLY needs to fix this!
:mad:

Lamont
08-08-2004, 02:04 PM
I know how to get LW to work with dual monitors on an nVidia card, I have no access at home to ATI.

Just do a search for dual monitors in Newteks site.

mrunion
08-08-2004, 02:28 PM
I have no troubles using dual monitors with LW and everything staying where it is supposed to. I use an nVidia 5600 FX card and nView. Here is a link to some insturctions I've created:

Dual Monitor Setup for nVidia (http://www.bigpony.com/dualmonitor/dualmonitor_nvidia.html)

Wickster
08-08-2004, 07:07 PM
unfortunately, this problem could either be on newtek's side or ati's side. i know nvidea people who use "nView" has had no problems at all with the pallettes window positioning. being remembered. however as an ati user myself i know how frustrating it is to keep moving the pallettes window into position everytime lightwave/modeler starts up. i've tried different versions of ati's "Hydravision" multi monitor management program but it justs doesn't work with LW/modeler, but it sure works fine with all of Adobe's software.:confused:

Brazilian
08-08-2004, 07:58 PM
I'm not even using HydraVision, and all other applications stay where I put them.

Maybe if someone is going to SIGGRAPH they can yell a little and get this fixed.

Lamont
08-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Brazilian
Maybe if someone is going to SIGGRAPH they can yell a little and get this fixed. I really don't see it as something Newtek should "fix". It's a setting you have to figure out really.

Brazilian
08-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Sorry, but there are APIs to deal with multiple monitors.

My guess it that Lightwave is calling an old function to get the screen size so that it can determine if a panel is 'out of bounds' when it opens - to keep you from losing panels off the screen if, for instance, you lowered your screen resolution (even on a single display system), and it adjusts the window position accordingly. LW doesn't see the second display to know that the coordinates are really valid, and moves the window back into what it thinks is the legal area.

This is why nView's spanning appears to work, as it just tricks the system into believing that it only has one (very wide) display.

Lamont
08-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, just config your monitor properly. When I get to work, I'll grab an ATI machine and see what I can do.

Lamont
08-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Hmm, the ATI card isn't in the machine. Oh well.

hunter
08-11-2004, 09:27 AM
I have an old ati 7500 with old drivers tht still allow you to span monitors and the windows stay where I put them. But the newer drivers don't span. they treat each monitor as a seperate entity. LW doesn't work like that but every other app I own does. I have been through every setting three or four times. I think it's LW's implimentation of dual screens that is the problem.