PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone with LW 8 answer me that...

caesar
07-15-2004, 11:50 AM
1- Whats the difference between pre-order and the retail version? If theres no difference, why the delay?

2- In the features list, we find =
"*Render speed enhancements",
" *Improved Soft Body Dynamics,
*Improved Cloth Dynamics,
"*Enhanced OpenGL with new modes and options and optimized speed" and *Improved Particle System Tools"
But pre order people said they didnt notice anything diferent in render, particles or screen draw performance!?

3- *Particle2Partigon turns selected particles into partigons. Whats is it?

4- *Animatable UV coordinates - is it cool?

Im really curious!

nerdyguy227
07-15-2004, 10:21 PM
1.) It probibly has something to do with their limitations of mass production and the demand from retailers they would ship it to.

prospector
07-16-2004, 07:08 AM
From what I been readin, pre-order comes with the PDF manual and retail has the real manual.
So the holdup was the manual which started comin out last week or early this week (forgot when exactly)

faulknermano
07-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by caesar

3- *Particle2Partigon turns selected particles into partigons. Whats is it?

partigon is a lw7.x for a single-point poly. nothing new except that, apparently, your can switch from custom object particle and turn them into single point polys.

(i miss partlcle storm displacement: you can bend a displaced particle motion with bones.)

caesar
07-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks...and what about the rest? Render improvement?...

nerdyguy227
07-16-2004, 01:09 PM
um.. a little. It is not that much faster, but they shold really focus on that for LW 9. It would alow more work time and a much more efficent workflow vfor many people.

With particals, it is basicly the same, but now the dynamics really helps with animations.

caesar
07-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
um.. a little. It is not that much faster...,

With particals, it is basicly the same, but now the dynamics really helps with animations.

All the people here made some render tests in both (7.5 and 8) an 8 lost em all (by few margin, of course)

Well, particles didnt help in 7.5? ;) OK, I know HBD is new, but what about the old ones?

Not very clear to me

Can anyone post a little words about real work experience on this..please :D
I think itd usefull for product evaluation...till 8 discovery edition

Well, I read at orkut.com lw community that 8 is very stable, im happy for that!

caesar
07-19-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by faulknermano
partigon is a lw7.x for a single-point poly. nothing new except that, apparently, your can switch from custom object particle and turn them into single point polys.

(i miss partlcle storm displacement: you can bend a displaced particle motion with bones.)

So, if I understand right, it helps in having more control to the motion of partigons/x particles?

FaeKitty
07-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Concerning the lack of speed improvements, I heard (but it could just be a rumor) that NewTek accidentally forgot to compile those changes into the version of Lightwave 8 released as part of the pre-orders. If this is actually true, then I would expect them to be in the first patch - whenever it ends up being released.

WizCraker
07-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Alot of the features did not make it that was on the original feature list that chuck made. They also left out stuff like a cutting tool to explode your objects, but of course like past releases they force their users to improvise by going to 3rd party scripters to get the tools they leave out.

Online Robo help is poorly put together too flashy with mediocre info. Easier to get help by googling the question.

There are some nice improvements on charcater animation and some modeling tools.

crusaderx
07-20-2004, 01:12 AM
not sure about the speed difference...
doesnt seem to be much different if it is...
but i will say that the new rigging tools and IKBooster are simply the best enhancements to the product since version 3.
the hard body dynamics seems cool enough and are very simple to set up... but i havent had enough time to play with it to give a thorough opinion.
the extra modeling tools are also good time savers... they dont do anything that couldnt be done before (with a crazy imagination and lots of time), but they make a 4 hour modeling job into a 2 hour modeling job... and thats cool!

Carm3D
07-20-2004, 01:57 AM
Thus far I have not found the changes in cloth to be improvements. It works fine for low-poly stuff, but if you throw anything at it with any size, it just locks up Lightwave. I am back to using Motion Designer for my cloth sims and the "speed increase" over the new ClothFX is a breath of fresh air.

Exper
07-20-2004, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by FaeKitty
Concerning the lack of speed improvements, I heard (but it could just be a rumor) that NewTek accidentally forgot to compile those changes into the version of Lightwave 8 released as part of the pre-orders.This is not a rumor... it was confirmed by Chuck Baker! ;)

We're waiting (who has the the pre-order version) for a patch to upgrade LW[8]pre-order to Lw[8]Final.

I wrote it in some other Thread (here and on SpinQuad)... no news at now!

caesar
07-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Exper, I read the thread, Chuck said about a maintenance upgrade with the waited raytracing optimizing :)! He said 5-20%

Clth FX "It works fine for low-poly stuff, but if you throw anything at it with any size, it just locks up Lightwave" :(

"but i will say that the new rigging tools and IKBooster are simply the best enhancements to the product since version 3" :)

Thnx the reply!