PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 Gold

BNA!
07-15-2004, 05:50 AM
Well, it's a bit out of place here, but since it's one of the most anticipated games and LightWave was heavily involved in the procuction process...

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2617

LightWavers with an interest in creating custom art content for gaming engines will love the Doom3 engine.

Maybe LightWave will get a little boost on the user side as well.

This said, have fun and a nice day.

Matt
07-15-2004, 07:33 AM
I've been soooooo looking forward to this game! Looks scary as hell!

riki
07-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Lots of cool new hi-res (upto 1600 x 1200) Doom3 wallpaper at http://www.gamewallpapers.com/members/wallpapers.php?titel=Doom+3

You have to pay but it's only ten bucks a year.

Andrew Sweet
07-16-2004, 02:46 AM
Game looks STUNNING!!! may purchase a new PC and sound system!!! ;-)

Andy

Matt
07-16-2004, 03:27 AM
I already am!!! :)

JML
07-16-2004, 06:07 AM
finnally out !
I pre-ordered it a while ago, hopefully I should have it august
5-8..

BNA!
07-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Lightwave will play a major role to make custom content for Doom3.

So this hopefully will get our app of choice more recognition in the game industry.

This game just looks absolutely stunning. Can't believe it's realtime rendering in some parts.

stone
07-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Matt
Looks scary as hell!

well, the setting in doom is hell, so no wonder ;)

/stone

stone
07-16-2004, 09:16 AM
is a real shame newtek havnt gotten a deal with id, like the one xsi has with halflife2. that could have generated some interest for lightwave.

/stone

BNA!
07-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by stone
is a real shame newtek havnt gotten a deal with id, like the one xsi has with halflife2. that could have generated some interest for lightwave.

/stone

Click my sig - I'm trying to get as many people as possible into LightWave for Doom3 editing.

StevenDS
07-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by BNA!
Click my sig - I'm trying to get as many people as possible into LightWave for Doom3 editing.

I can't wait for Doom 3.
I don't know if it will ship with a level editor like UT2K3/4, but I sure hope that if Doom 3 does ship with an editor, it will be able to import and use UV textured objects like UED3 does. If animated LW objects can be used, so much the better.

If Half Life 2 ships with an editor I'm guessing it will not be able to import LW objects.
Is it a big issue to get untextured 'raw' LW objects into XSI for texturing for Half Life 2?

-Steven

Red_Oddity
07-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Can't wait for this game (hopefully it takes as long as FarCry to finish, which was an amazing game aswell (looks as stunning as Doom3) and was well worth it's money)

BNA!
07-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Word has it that you'll need between 20 and 25 hours playtime to get through it. Which is pretty much for a shooter.

Intuition
07-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Well after Single player there is always multiplayer.

Which is always the funnest when everyone is new at it.

After some peeps jam it for months its like trying to play a bot.

heheheh.

I didn't pre order or anything but will probably try to get a copy at best buy when it comes out.

Its for research for 3d ....yah thats it.

BNA!
07-17-2004, 10:41 AM
I've modelled our Doom3World.org logo in LightWave, just in case someone wants to have a little fun :)

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2670

There's also a game ready version which I'll put up tomorrow.

Matt
07-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Bam! Pre-ordered from Amazon! Now I just need to buy the computer to run it on!!!

:)

lesterfoster
07-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Matt
Now I just need to buy the computer to run it on!!!
:)

I am looking forward to playing this game. But just what kind of computer do I need to play it on?

I have a VideoTOASTER[3] running on a <P4> with 500meg ram I think. And an iNveda dual monitor graphics card with 64meg ram I think. I have to ask my toaster rep to know.

What are the minimum requirements?

From what I understand LightWAVE was used in the making of this game. I would like to know more about this as well.

Bytehawk
07-18-2004, 04:50 PM
I hope to coincide with the release
someone (like William - hint ! hint -) could talk to these guys and do a nice interview on how LW integrated with their workflow.

Would be nice publicity for Siggy too

PaQ
07-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Hooo yes a Doom3 Lightwave community, and wan't to join us :)

Btw here's some links to the first review :

http://chouzan.net/crap/doom3/Doom%203%20-%20Page%2034.jpg

Complete review: http://chouzan.net/crap/doom3/

The min spec are a 1.5 gig cpu, gf4mx (but any gf3 or 4 is much better), and 512 meg of ram !

Triple G
07-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks for those links, PaQ! Man, I really can't wait to get my hands on this game....only I'm a little concerned whether it will run on my laptop or not. It's a brand new Dell Inspiron XPS, P4 3.4GHz, 1GB of RAM, and a 128MB Mobility Radeon 9700. I understand that there are some games which do not support the Mobility line, which concerns me. Hopefully this won't be one of them...:confused:

BNA!
07-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Sound like your laptop can handle it.

Red_Oddity
07-20-2004, 06:28 AM
Noooo...those darn bastards at Id removed the Co-op option on the PC version...Whyyyy....whyy....?

Co-op adds so much more replay value than the boring DM option every friggin' FPS offers (mostly because everyone online ownz my *****)...ahwell...buying the game anyway...just too bad...

BNA!
07-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Here's a short snip confirming that LightWave was the modelling tool of choice for Doom3 development:
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=26682#26682

BNA!
07-20-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
Noooo...those darn bastards at Id removed the Co-op option on the PC version...Whyyyy....whyy....?

Co-op adds so much more replay value than the boring DM option every friggin' FPS offers (mostly because everyone online ownz my *****)...ahwell...buying the game anyway...just too bad...

CoOp was never included in Doom3, so it didn't get removed at all.
VicariousVisions added it for the Xbox version, but that's a whole different story.

Doom3 always was and still is a single player design with some mp maps for fun.

BNA!
07-26-2004, 12:31 PM
NewTek has recieved a little attention by id software in art tools region:

The art team used a wide variety of tools ( they probably use other stuff too but this is what comes to mind )

The art team used a wide variety of tools ( they probably use other stuff too but this is what comes to mind )

Maya
Lightwave
ZBrush
3D Max
Photoshop

Full thing here:
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=27229

oDDity
07-27-2004, 05:12 PM
It's no big deal, they only used Lightwave for some modeling. Most of the static mesh modeling for UT2K3/4 was done in LW as well, hence the fact you can directly import .lwo files. You can use LW to model for any game (and I do, wouldn't model in anything else) and export to any other necessary app using Deep Exploration, so I'm not sure why Lightwavers are suddenly jumping for joy as if they can finaly start modeling for a game engline like it was never possible before..

Barred
07-28-2004, 03:35 AM
Same here oddity but the thing is not many studios will own up to the fact. Also in all the advertising for Max you see a lot of pushing about it (Max) being the prime package for games.

BNA!
07-28-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by oDDity
...so I'm not sure why Lightwavers are suddenly jumping for joy as if they can finaly start modeling for a game engline like it was never possible before..

Maybe because Doom3 can read native lwo files, which is a good thing, isn't it?

Of course it's not as if it's an industry first.

Lamont
07-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Well, can't wait.. it will be here on the 3rd...

Barred
07-29-2004, 10:42 AM
13th here :(

Matt
07-29-2004, 11:08 AM
August 13 here too! That's when the nightmares begin too! :)

art
08-02-2004, 01:08 PM
It annoys me a little that my computer that was pretty much top of the line 2 years ago can barely run some of the today's games.
I can play farcry... yes, on the lowest settings (it is beautiful game, though, even on low-end settings) It becomes only a bit slower on some setting set to medium, but at the same time after a few minutes of gameplay the system becomes unstable, slows down to a halt and I have to kill the game process in order to continue.
I won't make the same mistake with doom3 and will wait with the purchase until I actually replace my system with something that can handle it reasonably well.

On one hand it is nice to have faster and faster computers, but on the other hand, sometimes it is just too much of a hassle (and costs) to catch up with all the upgrades.

I remember when I had to play ultimaIX on low-medium settings 4 years ago on my old computer. My current "low end" computer handles it superbly right now on maxed out settings. The thing is I dont want to play it again anymore. I guess many of the high-end games are ahead of their times for most but a few dedicated gamers who are willing to upgrade their systems every week (or so).
Some of us are just lucky (or smart) to upgrade computers at the right point in time. I bought my current AMD system at the time when intel's p3s were considered crap. Only a few months after intel released their p4s, 2ghz barrier was broken and I was left out in the dust. NVidia and ati released new lines of videocards just a few short months after i got my second best geforce3

Oh well,
happy gaming anyway, guys :)

Lamont
08-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Memory, processor and videocard. Most exspensive parts... sucks.

My machine is about 2 years old, with a P4. I just upgrade the videocard.

Lamont
08-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Delicious:

http://s94588897.onlinehome.us/web_posts/doom_doom_doom.jpg

Triple G
08-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Odd that you posted that particular screen grab, Lamont. That's the spot where my machine continually locks up when I try to play.

I've tried downloading the latest ATI drivers for my laptop from Dell's site, but it's odd that after I install the file, my display properties still say that I have the old driver installed. Hopefully there's something stupid that I'm doing wrong...I *really* want to be able to play this game for more than 5 minutes without it freezing my whole system...:(

Lamont
08-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Are there any programs out there that will remove all the driver components, giving you a clean install?

Lamont
08-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Here is a shot of the level editor... my freakin' mouse pointer disappears when I move over the app.

lesterfoster
08-08-2004, 11:54 AM
got Doom 3 on Friday. A good game. Not to easy but not too hard. As well as well done with the visual effects.

I liked this game a lot better than Unreal 2. and was every bit as good as TRON 2.0.

Has any one have the codes for the supply lockers?:confused:

js33
08-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Well I bought Doom 3 last night and installed it. Everything seemed to go well. I started the game and in less than 30 seconds it fried my video card. Ok it may have gone out anyway but it was just too much of a coincidence. Not only that but after i determined the Video card was fried (PNY GF 4 Ti 4200 w/64mb) I put in my old card GeForce 4 MX and then the computer wouldn't start. I had to put in another drive and use the restore CD so I wouldn't lose my data on the original hard drive.

I want to reinstall Doom3 and try it again but I'm a little bit leary of it now. :confused:

Cheers,
JS

Lamont
08-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Bah, go for it. Or give me your copy ;)

WizCraker
08-09-2004, 03:17 PM
nice effects as well.

Lamont
08-09-2004, 03:46 PM
It's funny how you can see the brain fall out ;), nice touch.

ACLOBO
08-11-2004, 11:03 PM
I have an older computer - the first P4 that ran at 2 ghz. It is a dell and I currently have an ATI Radeon 9800 pro. I was a little worried about Doom 3 and what kind of system it would need to run it well.

I am happy to report that I got it the day it was released from Best Buy and have played it every day since! While I cannot crank it out to max resolution, I have fiddled and found it playable on my system at various resolution settings from 800x600 to 1153x800 something (can't remember). I have even played it with ultra settings at 1024x768 and it was more than playable.

Just about every time I play it, I turn up the resolution a little or tweak some setting - all I can say is beautiful game that plays well on my system. Thanks Id!!!

-Adrian

Triple G
08-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Lamont
Here is a shot of the level editor... my freakin' mouse pointer disappears when I move over the app.

Wait a minute...am I missing something here? I don't see a level editor on any of the install cds that came with the game, or in the folders that were installed on my hard drive...?

Just for the heck of it...here's my favorite screen grab(s) that I've taken so far:

Hehe...dude must be a metal fan....:p

WizCraker
08-12-2004, 03:51 AM
Press CTRL+ALT+~ to bring the console down and type editor.

Or make a new shortcut and put in the target "C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +editor

WizCraker
08-12-2004, 04:06 AM
I died taking this shot.

Triple G
08-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Hmm....interesting...now if only my cursor didn't disappear whenever I move it over the editor application...Lamont, it seems you're not alone in that regard. :mad:

WizCraker, I feel your pain man. I just smacked those guys down last night (after dying repeatedly, mind you....hehe) I don't want to give anything away if you haven't gotten that far yet, but man....Hell is a whole new ballgame...:eek:

MiniFireDragon
08-12-2004, 08:08 AM
Hehehehe.... multiplayer....

In regards to Doom (1 or 2... can't remember), I have a friend who walked into the one room where the guys were throwing green crap at ya (like 20 mobs) and took them all out with just the hand gun. I'd hate to see what he'd can do in a multiplayer environment.

That's just playing the game to much!

WizCraker
08-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Triple G
Hmm....interesting...now if only my cursor didn't disappear whenever I move it over the editor application...Lamont, it seems you're not alone in that regard. :mad:

WizCraker, I feel your pain man. I just smacked those guys down last night (after dying repeatedly, mind you....hehe) I don't want to give anything away if you haven't gotten that far yet, but man....Hell is a whole new ballgame...:eek:

For the editor you have to turn Fullscreen off and run in window. You can do this two ways through Doom under the Systems options change Fullscreen to no or in the target of your Doom3Ed shortcut you put:

C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +r_fullscreen 0 +editor

I'm out of Hell now and it a little difficult.

Lamont
08-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Cool, I'll do it as soon as I get home :)

Triple G
08-14-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by WizCraker
For the editor you have to turn Fullscreen off and run in window. You can do this two ways through Doom under the Systems options change Fullscreen to no or in the target of your Doom3Ed shortcut you put:

C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +r_fullscreen 0 +editor

I'm out of Hell now and it a little difficult.

Hmm...that sort of works. My cursor still disappears when it's in the editor window, but it seems that as soon as I add something (piece of geometry...a wall maybe....I'm not exactly sure what I did), the mouse pointer comes back. I'll have to do some more testing this weekend if I get a chance.

WizCraker...you made it out of Hell? Good on ya, bro....I'm slowly trudging my way along, but I keep getting my @$$ kicked by this guy. If I'm understanding the situation correctly, I need to shoot down those three little dudes with the searchlights, right? And then quickly shoot at the big demon dude before the searchlight guys regenerate? Then it should be just a matter of lather, rinse, and repeat? Or am I going about this all wrong? It sure would be nice if enemies like this had some sort of energy meter so you could at least tell if the 50 rockets that you've poured into a guy have had any effect at all...:(

Triple G
08-14-2004, 03:23 AM
Heh...nevermind...I figured it out. Just a simple case of overlooking the obvious. Man...I love that SoulCube...:D

Karmacop
08-14-2004, 04:30 AM
I think to get your cursor back you only need to click on the window or click on the window's start menu. Something like that.