PDA

View Full Version : Surfaces

Dick Nelson
07-14-2004, 02:06 PM
I'm pretty much of a novice when it comes to LightWave, and I find the manual absolutely useless.

I am trying to apply a surfaces to an object and am having no luck at all. I want to apply an image to one side of the object and a plain color to other sides.

Does anyone know of a tutorial anywhere that would explain how to do that?

Or if the instructions are simple enough you can give them here, that would be helpful, too.

WizCraker
07-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Select the polys that you want to map then press q in modeler to name them. In surface editor you can add the surface attributes you want.

WizCraker
07-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Go to http://3dgarage.com/downloads.html and download the tire tutoral Dan shows you the basics in an easy to follow video.

Dick Nelson
07-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Applying the surfaces is my problem. I can apply a solid color to the ENTIRE object pretty easily, but I haven't figured out how to apply different surfaces to different sides of the object, and I'm having problems applying an image as a surface.

In any event, I will try the tutorial you suggested.

Thanks.

MrKnight
07-15-2004, 12:13 PM
This is very simple example, but I think this is what you are trying to do.

1. Make a simply box.
2. Go to Polygon selection mode. (click the Polygon button on bottom-left)
3. Click on any one side of the box in Perspective View.
4. Press q on your keyboard. (should open a small window called Change Surface)
5. For the name, type anything you like and press OK.
6. Open the Surface Editor and on the left side you should see the name you type in step 5. Click on the name to highlight it.
7. You can now change the properties on the right side. (for example the color) And it will only change that one side of the box that you selected in step 3.

This is very basic, I hope this helps.
Let me know if you want me to give you another example on how to put an image.

Dick Nelson
07-15-2004, 06:52 PM
I'm at home now so I can't try this immediately, but it SOUNDS like it is exactly what I need to know. When I'm back at the Toaster tomorrow I'll give it a try. Thanks.

The tutorial suggested in another reply won't play in either QuickTime or Windows Media Player, so I haven't been able to look at it.

jin choung
07-16-2004, 02:08 AM
BTW,

you are pressing 'q' in MODELER... aren't you?

you can change and tweak surfaces in LAYOUT but you cannot at all APPLY them there.

fyi

jin

Dick Nelson
07-16-2004, 02:00 PM
MrKnight, you should write manuals or tutorials. Perhaps you do. Anyway, your instructions were EXACTLY what I needed. I worked with the manual for hours without success. With your instructions, it was as easy as falling off a log.