PDA

View Full Version : Character Setup

thejuice
07-14-2004, 09:42 AM
I'm building a character with separate parts for a jacket, torso in jacket, pants, shoes, etc. Each part is in a separate layer. Should i merge the layers before adding the skelegons and painting weight maps?

lkan
07-14-2004, 06:24 PM
I did a similar project with a basketball player with a jersey and shorts for the 1st time. I left the clothes on a separate layer and painted weight maps on all the parts individually.

I kept the skelegons in a separate layer from the model as well.

The different layers mean that when you go to layout and rig you'll need to point the various layers of clothes to the appropriate bones as well as the body.

In retrospect it's probably better to delete any covered polys in the body if the clothes obscures it--that way you don't need to deal with parts of the body popping out of the clothes if you missed a few vertices when painting weights. Then merge them onto one layer.

I guess the cool thing about leaving them on separate layers is that it allows you to freely bring in different clothes onto the model in layout--import a layer from an object (weights painted) and point the object to the bones.

I'm new at this myself so I'm quite curious to see how other more experienced users go about rigging clothed models.