PDA

View Full Version : Celeron Versus P4

robk
07-13-2004, 04:43 PM
I am thinking of setting up a render farm and can get 4 celeron boxes for a good price. What performance price will I have to pay by going celeron versus p4 chips. I have a old dual celeron 500 mHZ machine and when I had bought that back then all the information I could find at that time said the most performance penalty you would have to pay in floating point performance was about 2% in speed, so the penalty was very small. That would have been celeron's versus p3's at that time. I have not kept up with the differences between the newer breed of celeron's and p4's. Is the cache size the only main difference like the old days (about five years ago) or will the celeron's not be suited for render farm boxes.

robewil
07-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Forget it. Celeron's don't perform mathematical operations nearly as well as Pentium 4's. I can personally vouch for this as I was curious myself and rendered a bunch of scenes on my Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz and my Celeron 2.6 Ghz machines. In basic renders, the Celeron beat the Pentium by the approximate proportional difference in their clock speeds. In any scenes requiring raytracing or radiosity, the Pentium was substantially (by 5 to 10 times) faster than the higher clocked Celeron.

robk
07-13-2004, 05:11 PM
thanks for the comments. It's good to know someone has tested the two type of chips against each other. It will probably double the price for the four machines but I should still be able to cover the costs with an upcoming animation project. The raytrace-radiosity speeds are the most important to me because I mainly use Lightwave for Architectural interior Radiosity renderings.

Rob K
Liquid Light 3D graphics Inc.

robk
07-14-2004, 02:47 PM
What about Amd versus p4's. Has anyone done some Lightwave timing tests between them?