PDA

View Full Version : graphics card recommendations

lkan
07-13-2004, 01:08 PM
does any one have any recommendations for a graphics card to use with lightwave 8.

i'm looking at a midrange workstation card that won't break the bank ~$400-700

i've heard some good things about the quadro fx 1100 as well as the ati fire gl x2t

rendering speed isn't as important as being able to handle lots of geometry in the viewports. my radeon 9000 pro is choking in modeler when viewing in wireframe shaded mode.

any suggestions?

thanks,
late

fgreen
07-15-2004, 06:08 AM
I use a Quadro4 700 xgl that came standard on my Dell workstation. It works great with LW.

david_B
07-16-2004, 01:26 AM
I was stupid and bought a ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256Mb. Great for DirectX, abysmal for Open GL. Next time, I'm keeping away from the gaming cards. This is my advice. Heed it well.

somnambulance
07-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Wow, I almost upgraded from the standard video card that comes with the G5 to either the 9600 or the 9800. Reading what you guys are saying, I am glad I didnt.

I dont know what the best thing you can buy for that price is, but I am happy with the GeForce that came in my computer and I think they just came out with a new GeFoce that is a 256 for around $500.

How many ploygons is it taking to slow it down?

Matt
07-16-2004, 11:22 AM
I've always favoured nVidia cards for the simple fact that they play better with OpenGL applications - and aren't too bad at running games also!

I have a Quadro4 900 XGL in my works computer, bit old now, but it's work very well with LightWave, although on large assemblies and it does start to slow down, but that's mainly to do with poor OpenGL support in LightWave (7.5). It rocks in SolidWorks.

I'm in the process of buying a computer for home at the moment and I very nearly well went with an ATI X800-XT, but having read a few comments on this board (and going with my gut instinct of sticking with nVidia) I've decided to go for a GeForce 6800 Ultra.

While this is a high-end gaming card nVidia cards (unless this one proves me wrong) are usually more compatible with OpenGL than ATI cards.

So it's a balance between whether you want full-on OpenGL compatibility; in which case go for an nVidia workstation card (Quadro series) or raw game power; then go for a high-end gamer card like the GeForce 6800 Ultra or the ATI X800-XT.

So, to sum up; this is how I see it:

Bothered about OpenGL compatibilty / not bothered about games:
nVidia Quadro Series

Bothered about OpenGL compatibilty / bothered about games:
nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra

Not nothered about OpenGL compatibilty / bothered about games:
ATI X800-XT

Just my thoughts based on the research I'd done whilst looking.

Cheers
Matt

lkan
07-16-2004, 12:10 PM
ambulance - i ran a few tests by hiding and unhiding polys in different layers in modeller. This is in wireframe texture mode.

Performance takes a slight hit around 5000 polys

at 8000 it's very noticable

Things really start to chug at 10000 polys

I don't normally work at with this many polygons except after a subpatch freeze for texture work

thanks everyone for the feedback. that's totally helpful. seeing as this is for a work machine--game compatibility is not a high priority so i'll probably go with a quadro for the openGL compatibility. for my home machine though it's probably gonna be a geforce.

KeenanCrane
07-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Matt
I've always favoured nVidia cards for the simple fact that they play better with OpenGL applications - and aren't too bad at running games also!

This is exactly right - even on the "gaming" cards nVidia's OpenGL performance significantly beats ATI equivalents. This has something to do with the fact that some of the big game engines (e.g., Doom 3) are OpenGL-based, and nVidia works very closely with these companies.

Also, the perfomance of the latest generation of chips (nv40 and R420) is a huge jump from the last generation, meaning even gaming cards should be pretty good for LW work.

GregMalick
07-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Matt
....having read a few comments on this board (and going with my gut instinct of sticking with nVidia) I've decided to go for a GeForce 6800 Ultra. Matt,
I've read some awesome things about this card. When you get it, please tell us about how good it is.:)

JML
07-22-2004, 10:58 PM
I have a ati 9800 XT 256Mb and I never had any problem with LW
or games..
If I would only do 3D stuff then I would get a professional card,
but since I also play games, strong gaming cards are the best choice for me.

nvidia and ati both make great cards, they both are very close
in performance, it just depend on which month you buy the card.
some months, nvidia may be the fastest, other months ati...

OpenGL in modeller is slower than OpenGL in layout..
that LW, not hardware.

made some quick test in layout:
I have scene 125,000 polys in layout in shaded solid mode,
and the refresh is like real-time

another scene, of 1,154,000 polys and it takes 2 second to refresh in shaded solid and 0.5 second in wireframe mode
(629 objects)

do you guys think those results are bad or fine?
I think it's pretty good
maybe the processor is helping too.. (P4 3ghz)
does the CPU helps a lot the openGL refresh ?

what kind of refresh do you guys get in layout?

Matt
07-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by GregMalick
Matt,
I've read some awesome things about this card. When you get it, please tell us about how good it is.:)

Will certainly do that! When :rolleyes: it arrives!

Cheers
Matt