PDA

View Full Version : Render Time

jasonwestmas
07-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi,

I just rigged and textured a 5,000+ Patch model with one 4096x4096 texture. I'm trying to render just a single frame. Is it normal for the computer to take a minute or two before it even starts rendering a single frame. I turned off a lot of features but nothing seems to speed up the render. Is there something I can turn off that drastically speeds up render time? I have tested this both on my windows 2.8 Ghz machine and my dual 1Ghz mac. They both have a Gig of Ram. The windows machine is about 25% faster at rendering but they both take a while to start a render.

Thanks

bloontz
07-13-2004, 01:28 PM
You could try turning off Extra Raytrace Optimization if it's on. May take longer to render if you have lots of raytracing going on.

kmscottmoore
07-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Lightwave uses mipmapping, which means that it creates various instances of a texture to use depending on how far away it is from the camera.
The slow down is caused by the program calculating the instances of the texture.

I have to look to see if you can turn this off. I don't remember off the top of my head.

jasonwestmas
07-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Well I tried turning every thing i could turn off. Still had a delay before render starts. Did I mention that my model is fully rigged with IK and other bones? I eliminated all the rigging and volla! Everything is dandy. I guess the bones system, weight maps and the deforming of the mesh need to pre-process before any rendering takes place. Oh well. The delay isn't that bad. In other programs the rendering is instantaneous but it is probably taxing to the memory. I'll give Lightwave the bone for being memory friendly.:)