PDA

View Full Version : How to roll up a rope upon a reel?

kite
03-29-2003, 07:53 AM
I'm looking for a tutorial on how to roll up some ropes to a spool.
Would be cool to have them swing some too. :)

kevman3d
03-30-2003, 03:40 AM
Glad you asked, cause FI_BezierBend is a cool tool for creating some effects like this...

What some people didn't realise was that you can create a path of nulls, then just slide the model along the Z axis, and it winds itself along the path, much like laying out a train-track and then sliding the train along the track. (Which is something that you CAN do with FI_bezierbend)

In your respect, you could create a 'winding' path of nulls that wrap around the spool, then simply drag your rope object along the Z axis and it should 'magically' appear to wind onto the spool!

Give it a whirl - You can download the plugin from:

http://www.infoseek.livedoor.com/~f_ichikawa/plugin-page.html#BezierBend

kite
03-30-2003, 05:55 AM
Ops, forgot to tell that I use LW on my macs...
That seems to be a intel plugin, will try it when I buy a pc. :)

Any mac plugs for similar effects?

mdunakin
03-31-2003, 10:49 AM
Kite, you can always use the method I have at my web site.
It's under the tutorials section and it's the Sluggish tutorial.
Simply use that same technique as shown, but make your Skelegons from a spiral instead of just a path.
Here is the link to my site:
http://www.md-arts.com/

And enjoy!....................md :)

Murphy
04-02-2003, 04:38 AM
Have you tried Motion Designer???

My friend was showing me a similar thing with 3Ds-Max but the same thing should apply.
I don't know if this will realy work because i never tried but here it goes ^_^.

If you make a line of 2 point pollys for the skeleton and the rope itself. Then use motion designer on the 2 point polly rope to get the ropes movement.
I cant remember but someone else did a post on making hair move with MD by aplying simple MD morph animation as a Latis to the Saslite hair chains. If you do a search through the Lightwave forums you should be able to find it using keywords like MD , Hair, etc.
All you would have to do is apply the 2 point rope's MD movent to the actual rope geometry and sha-bang.

I know that this was fairly vauge but it is the best i can do.

Hope it helps

Murphy ( ^.^)/~~~

mdunakin
04-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Done with the morph bone thecnique.

kite
04-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Cool, that looks just like what I'm trying to do with your tutorial. But I'm very slow, lots of new things for me to learn :)

A nice thing would be if the ropes rolled up on eachother, so that the diameter got bigger.
Maybe scale the bones, and use two sets of bones to make it go both directions along the spool...?
I'll try it.

mdunakin
04-02-2003, 02:42 PM
Here's the file, if you're interested.
Remember something about this technique though, trying to wrap bones over themselves will cause major problems.
So, don't forget that you can "always" fake things.
If no one can see one side of something, then it won't matter if You fake something on the other side, like using two seperate rope objects with their own bone chains.
You could make a reverse version of the first rope's skelegons and also make them with more bones, as things second one would be wider then the first rope's skelegons.

Hope you get what I'm saying?

Anyway, enjoy!
.............................md :)