PDA

View Full Version : screen redraw

tim pfeiffer
03-29-2003, 06:38 AM
I'm working on a HUGE animation with imported CAD models that I converted with Polytrans. This is bringing my G4 Dual 1 GHZ with 1GIG RAM to it's knees! IThe scene renders pretty fast about 50 sec per frame. But I can't work on anything in layout or modeler. It takes about three minutes to move an object just the slightest bit. Even in wire frame mode. I've hidden all the other objects that I'm not working on. Not much help. Is this a RAM issue? OR video card thing? The video card is the GeForce 4MX. Would another 512 RAM really make that much difference? Can anyone out there help me out here?
Thanks
Tim

wapangy
03-29-2003, 11:32 AM
How many polygons are in the scene?

joao
03-29-2003, 01:39 PM
Don't bother trying to get it to work - i have a gforce 4ti card and screen redraw is not amazing either. Lightwave was not built for large cad or architectural projects. The only way out is to keep things simple - if you're doing an animation get rid of everything that isn't necessary. If you're just rendering stills delete objects you don't need to work on. It is tempting to work on huge object files and scenes - but it will be faster if you organise everything into smaller chunks and then work....

cheers,
joao.

tim pfeiffer
03-29-2003, 03:01 PM
I have only loaded about half of the models I need in the scene.
I'm at 1776700 polygons right now. Is there anyway to reduce the polygon count in the models? This is quite frustrating! I've never had such a large project before. And I have major deadlines to boot! AAAAAAAHHHHH! Help! Is there another computer system out there that can manage this kind of project Mac or PC? I find it hard to believe that LW is not designed to handle this.
Thanks for all your help.
Tim

wapangy
03-29-2003, 03:05 PM
I had 2 million polys once, and it was really sluggish. I don't think its LightWaves fault as much as OpenGL. OpenGL probably was not made to handle that much.

You can try the qemloss2 ? plugin in modeler to reduce polys, but I don't know how well that works.

tim pfeiffer
03-29-2003, 03:19 PM
I see there are plug Ins like Decimate and Polygon Cruncher that sound like what I need but of course they're ONLY FOR PC! I will switch to a PC if I need to. Do you know of any Plug Ins like these for the Mac?
Tim

wapangy
03-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Try

qemLOSS2

in the modeler

joao
03-29-2003, 03:46 PM
If you're regularly working with millions of polygons than Lightwave might not be the program for you - Mac or PC. A PC will handle things better, especially with a workstation class graphics card. But instead of being really slugish, things will just be less slugish. I think there may be other programs, particularly solid modelers, that may work better. Electric Image is renowned for handling millions of polygons and huge scenes perfectly. I heard it's specifically designed for high polygon count scenes.

Anyone tried it?
Joao.

toby
04-02-2003, 12:34 AM
I'm learning EI right now, and while it may have been a champion in the past, it's a dog compared to Lightwave now ( as well as LOTS of other drawbacks ) . It takes 5 seconds just to acknowledge selecting a different object, with only a couple thousand polys in the scene.

I imported a CAD model for a project once, it had FOUR TIMES as many polygons as it needed - CAD can't make polys with more than 3 points, which means a simple circle becomes at least a dozen polys. A square with a hole in it becomes a dozen polys.

Additionally, the threads on all the nuts and bolts were modeled with tri's, as well as many other minor details, even if they would never be seen.

Wait there's more! Every polygon from the CAD model was double-sided. This helps drag down your system too. Of course, turning off the double sides revealed that only half of them were facing the right direction!