PDA

View Full Version : Camera people..

lesterfoster
07-11-2004, 04:32 PM
I have a VideoTOASTER (3) with the breakout box <BOB>.

What I need is good camera people to help me with my live video productions. So far I have made good just by picking some one and putting a camera in to there hands.

But what I think would help is if I had some good camera people to help me. How do I fined good camera people?

I know that I am only as good as those who help me. So I am looking for camera people who are better than me.

And I am hoping that some of them want to try the VideoTOASTER switching so I can go on the camera once in a while.

Jim Capillo
07-11-2004, 08:19 PM
You pay travel expenses ????? ;) :D :p

lesterfoster
07-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Jim Capillo
You pay travel expenses ????? ;) :D :p

That is up to my customers. So far I am just doing low budget Pro Wrestling and Music projects. But if my customers are willing. I am into that. What did you have in mined? And besides the travel costs. How much would you wand to show? Tell me more if you can. And how can I attract good local camera people? :confused:

Jim Capillo
07-12-2004, 06:38 AM
The little faces :D ;) :p indicate that I was kidding, Lester. I am on the other side of the continent from you, no? Might be a bit expensive to fly me out there and back !

I would look to locals to help you. Check your local cable station. Depending on their local origination involvement/experience, you might be able to snag some very good camera(wo)men from there. Also check your local TV stations. Many of the shooters moonlight. You could also look on the net for local web resources such as the one in this area, http://www.newenglandfilm.com which has listings for not only tech folks but talent as well.

Good Luck !

PS..... I do have a question for your expertise - I have built a small, lightweight aluminum jib arm. I am looking for brass or steel bushings so I can drill the pivot holes in the aluminum and put them in there so the holes won't egg out over time. Probably for 5/16 or 3/8 bolts..... any suggestions ? Thanks!

Nandragon
07-23-2004, 01:57 PM
LMAO

you won't find good camera ppl at your local tv station either.

All the good ones have gone off to higher markets/pay.

bradl
07-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Finding and working with good camera people is kinda funny. Over time you will met and hire many of them. They will suggest their friends and coworkers. You may end up with a pretty good list of reliable people. This method can be painful but cost less in the long run. However, if you want top people from the start you will have to pay market price. Some places it is $250 a day, some higher (like NYC).

There are usually a group of shooters that all know each other at this level. They do the local and Network sports shoots on a regular basis, but take on corporate or other worki on occasion. Every market has a few people who tend to 'crew' many events and these people can help you get the right people faster. Ask for resumes or references if you wish.

I personally will run camera on shots throughout the year but not for less than $250 usually (Rodeo is acception because it is 18 days straight) but I prefer to Direct or Engineer corporate stuff instead of camera and run Tape for NMT during the NBA basketball season. All of the freelance is on top of a regular job in television (editing and graphics).