PDA

View Full Version : "Final" for townhome interior rendering

ddho1981
07-11-2004, 09:29 AM
hopefully this is the final image. I'm still supposed to comp in a person behind the counter and possibly a background image, but i figured i'd post the rendering in its "pure" form.

bloontz
07-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Looks great! The ceiling looks a bit on the dirty side for such a clean space though, and the lights on the picture over the couch don't seem to be casting light as the ones on the other pictures do.

ddho1981
07-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by bloontz
Looks great! The ceiling looks a bit on the dirty side for such a clean space though, and the lights on the picture over the couch don't seem to be casting light as the ones on the other pictures do.

the ceiling is a bit on the dirty side because the client wants to show this space with an "urban loft" feel. i kept the lights in the front room off because when it was on, it diluted the natural light coming in from the windows.

sidewing
07-11-2004, 09:43 PM
I love the lighting! Is it all global or did you also use area lights?
Any tips about the lighting setup?

John

Rhino
07-12-2004, 04:57 AM
Looks great :eek: , not a place for running around in your socks though :D .

pauland
07-12-2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by ddho1981
the ceiling is a bit on the dirty side because the client wants to show this space with an "urban loft" feel.

I can't imagine anyone thinking that having a poor ceiling contributes to that home, particularly with the contrast with the great look of the rest. It would put me off.

My comments are with regard to your (mad) client, rather than your great render.

Paul

ddho1981
07-12-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by pauland
I can't imagine anyone thinking that having a poor ceiling contributes to that home, particularly with the contrast with the great look of the rest. It would put me off.

My comments are with regard to your (mad) client, rather than your great render.

Paul

it's supposed to be an exposed hollow-core concrete slab system . . . i personally don't mind the "raw" look. but i could see it from the other side as well.

smok3
07-12-2004, 07:32 AM
great stuff, i just wonder - how wide are the render 'lenses'?

dxyner
07-12-2004, 08:42 AM
I like the fact that you changed the air duct from rectangular to round. As far as the track lighting your reason for not having the lights in the front on is good but it looks like a bit of natural light is coming through the back windows too so I'd turn off the diningroom track lights too. The difference is distracting and a casual viewer isn't going to stop to think about why one set of lights is on and the other off.

Great work BTW

Dxyner

ddho1981
07-12-2004, 07:45 PM
thanks for all the positive comments, guys

@sidewing - nothing really special about lighting...

there's a big area light on the floor, one on the ceiling, and one one either side where the windows are. there's also one lighting the stairs from above.

the pendant lights have a pointlight in then with inverse falloff of about 1-2 feet -- just so they look lit, but not really to contribute to the lighting.

the tracklights are just spotlights.... and there's a area light outside for the sun.

all this in combination with 2 bounce montecarlo radiosity rendered w/fprime.

@smok3 - what do you mean by your question?

@dxyner - i agree with your comments both from my post on the WIP thread and here, perhaps i'll play with it more in time.

the actual image (3200px x 2400px) took about 1.5 days to render to level 3. i did some manual noise reduction with photoshop.... the following image is the "final final" (resampled, of course) composited image for the client.

bloontz
07-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Excellent, those final touches really balanced the comp nicely.

hrgiger
07-12-2004, 09:48 PM
It turned out really nice.

Hmph. The dog watches TV just like mine does....

smok3
07-13-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by ddho1981 @smok3 - what do you mean by your question?[/B]

i mean, how wide were the camera lenses in the camera settings section... ? (cameras/item properties/zoom factor or lens focal lenght)

sorry, if i wasnt clear :)

-EsHrA-
07-13-2004, 06:39 AM
excellent, but why is the tv screen only half filled?

mlon

ddho1981
07-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by -EsHrA-
excellent, but why is the tv screen only half filled?

mlon

that's the bang and olufsen design -- look it up on their website: beovision 5 . . .. it's a really slick TV.

@smok3: i don't recall the camera lense setting and i don't have access to the scene right now. . . zoom factor was somewhere around 1.5 i believe.

lasco
07-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Nice image !

few crits :
about the architectural project :
I'm not disturbed by the rough looking of
the ceiling, but such effect may be work better
in a more regular space, especially it would
be better with less types of lamps. Only one type
would do it I think.
Now I don't like the angle of the stairs :
the piece of banister on the left is really
too heavy for just 3 steps while only its down
part (kind of little wall) would be enough

about the rendering :
it's a very good work you made but something's
disturbing : it does not seem regular to have such a lighted area (center of the image) regarding to
the wall on the left with lighted parts due to the
venetian blind. I'm not sure I explain well
but it seems you should more feel the ambiance of natural light coming from this window that is behind you.

I wonder if you would'nt get something
better removing your 2 area lights
(floor and ceiling, as you said) and maybe
increasing the amount of radiosity…

ddho1981
07-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by lasco
Nice image !

few crits :
about the architectural project :
I'm not disturbed by the rough looking of
the ceiling, but such effect may be work better
in a more regular space, especially it would
be better with less types of lamps. Only one type
would do it I think.
Now I don't like the angle of the stairs :
the piece of banister on the left is really
too heavy for just 3 steps while only its down
part (kind of little wall) would be enough

this was a visualization for a client, so while i may agree with you about some of your comments, it was all client-driven.

about the rendering :
it's a very good work you made but something's
disturbing : it does not seem regular to have such a lighted area (center of the image) regarding to
the wall on the left with lighted parts due to the
venetian blind. I'm not sure I explain well
but it seems you should more feel the ambiance of natural light coming from this window that is behind you.

I wonder if you would'nt get something
better removing your 2 area lights
(floor and ceiling, as you said) and maybe
increasing the amount of radiosity…

again, if i were really going for photo-real, i would agree with you. but because it was an image for marketing, they'd want to see as much detail as they could and make it feel "bright and happy." in reality, however, this would probably be a darker space... also, LW radiosity isn't strong enough (in my experience) to get enough subtleties in the surface definitions for the space/object to read well at all--at least within a reasonable render-time. i appreciate your comments though....

quatermain
07-22-2004, 08:29 PM
very nice image !
thanks for sharing your lighting setup !