PDA

View Full Version : How do I Animate somthing?

Night Walker01
07-11-2004, 12:24 AM
I have downloaded a 3DS model from a website. Its a Starwars walker. It has two legs and i cant seem to find out how to make it walk. Can somone help me on how to animate somthing that is supposed to walk? thanks

Carm3D
07-11-2004, 05:04 AM
Put the leg segments in seperate object layers. Move the pivot point for each layer at the joints. Load it into layout and with "Parent in place" active, set up your model's heirchy. Then it's one foot in front of the other..

Whether you want to use IK, manual keyframes and/or motion mixer is all up to how you want to animate. There's more than one way.

Night Walker01
07-11-2004, 11:48 AM
wow, im confused with what you said. How do I put the leg segments in differant object layers? Sorry im kinda new at this.

Signal to Noise
07-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Night Walker01
wow, im confused with what you said. How do I put the leg segments in differant object layers? Sorry im kinda new at this.

Select the polys that make up each part of the leg segment, cut (CTRL + X), open new layer, and paste (CTRL + V).

I'm pretty sure this is going the lead to more questions. Best bet, since you're new to this, is grab some basic tutorials from NewTek's Tutorials page. (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html) Also, I recommend picking up Albee's Character Animation book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556229011/qid=1089571719/sr=8-9/ref=pd_ka_9/002-5294538-7991212?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) and/or Ablan's Inside [7] (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735711348/qid=1089571888/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-5294538-7991212?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) or [8] (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735713685/qid=1089571719/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/002-5294538-7991212?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) book, depending on which version of LW you own.

Good luck!

Carm3D
07-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Looking in the manual wouldn't be a bad option either.

Signal to Noise
07-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Carm3D
Looking in the manual wouldn't be a bad option either.

Oops! My bad. It was in my mind to mention the manual as well but forgot when I hit the Submit button. Thanks Carm3D!:)

Yes, like with any app, the manual should be the first source of information.

Night Walker01
07-11-2004, 02:31 PM
where is the Manual Located?

Carm3D
07-11-2004, 02:36 PM
If you have version 8, you download it from NewTek (via the registration page).. If you have version 7, it came in the box.. You can't miss it.

Night Walker01
07-11-2004, 04:23 PM
do one of you know where I can find a good video that shows me how to Animate somthing? I am bad at reading........sorry

Carm3D
07-11-2004, 04:38 PM
This guy has a video training course for Lightwave: SplineGod (http://www.splinegod.com/onlinetraining.htm)

Night Walker01
07-11-2004, 04:47 PM
hmm, is there any FREE video tutorials i can download and watch on my computer?

Carm3D
07-11-2004, 04:53 PM
How much did you pay for Lightwave?

Night Walker01
07-11-2004, 05:19 PM
I dont know I did not buy it. What does that have to do with where I can find a FREE video tutorial?

Signal to Noise
07-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Carm3D
How much did you pay for Lightwave?

Hehe! And suddenly the sound of crickets chirping can be heard across the land... ;)

Night Walker01: Reading is a fundamental that everyone *should* possess. If you can take the time to read these forums then certainly you can take the time to read a manual. Especially if it pertains to something you want to learn how to do. In the CG community we don't mind helping out a newbie. But we are not here to hold your hand through a complete process. You need to take some initiative!
[End Rant]

P.S.: If you didn't perchance *pay* for LW (I'm tending to side with Carm3D's assumption on this one) then this is the [b]last forum you want to be a part of!

Carm3D
07-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Send Proton your name and postal address in an E-Mail.. I'm sure he'll be happy to send you some free training materials.

Night Walker01
07-11-2004, 05:32 PM
ok im sorry, thanks for all the help you did give though. ill try and figure things out myself. c'ya

retinajoy
07-11-2004, 05:49 PM
I dont know I did not buy it.

Then ask the person who bought it for you to give you the manual. If you got LW8, there are some video tuts by SplineGod and Dan Ablan on one of the CDs.

If you are using the demo discovery version of LW 7.5 then type "Lightwave video tutorials" in google (this is a search engine at www.google.com) on the internet. :D

If you are using a pirated illegal copy of Lightwave that you got off a friend or downloaded from a peer to peer, then this website can be very helpful.

http://www.bsa.org/usa/report/Reporting-Form.cfm

Go there and enter your personal info; telling them how you got Lightwave and you will soon hear from them for a very personal tutorial.

nerdyguy227
07-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Night Walker01,

I think we all know

!!!:eek:!!!

(unless, I am wrong)

riki
07-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Now now don't get nasty :) Lots of free tuts here http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Newest_Links.htm

Signal to Noise
07-11-2004, 09:53 PM
I have downloaded a 3DS model from a website. Its a Starwars walker. It has two legs and i cant seem to find out how to make it walk. Can somone help me on how to animate somthing that is supposed to walk? thanks

A thought just occurred to me. Since the file is a 3ds format why don't you just bone and animate the walker in 3ds max? You know...the other app that you probably "acquired"...:rolleyes:

nerdyguy227
07-11-2004, 09:55 PM
I really do not know if my interpretation is correct, it just seems odd..........

Well, anyway, this is off topic, sorry

nerdyguy227
07-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
A thought just occurred to me. Since the file is a 3ds format why don't you just bone and animate the walker in 3ds max? You know...the other app that you probably "acquired"...:rolleyes:

lol

lesterfoster
07-11-2004, 10:19 PM
do one of you know where I can find a good video that shows me how to Animate somthing? I am bad at reading........sorry

If you have difficulty with reading, than I recommend Natural Voice Reader (http://www.naturalreaders.com/) or Monologue for windows. This is what I use. It reads every thing for you. :)

How ever I think that you should consider retinajoy's advice. :confused:

Night Walker01
07-11-2004, 10:35 PM

sorry that some people arent made of money, and NO i dont have that program.

but is there another way i might be able to bone and animate the walker so his legs will move? See when I go into the layout and load the object, its an object all in itself. There is no clicking on the leg or clicking on the head. I am trying to figure out how to change that. Is there a way?

lesterfoster
07-11-2004, 10:41 PM
sorry that some people arent made of money,

Check out Natural Voice Reader (http://www.naturalreaders.com/) It is free! It helps me.

Signal to Noise
07-12-2004, 12:04 AM
...See when I go into the layout and load the object, its an object all in itself. There is no clicking on the leg or clicking on the head. I am trying to figure out how to change that. Is there a way?

Is there a way? Why yes, Grasshopper, there is a way. Read the manual, buy a book. You shall be enlightened!

I'm outta here.

Carm3D
07-12-2004, 02:48 AM
If reading is an issue with you, then I'd advise against getting into articulated animation! :eek:

Try breaking into some people's homes and stealing their jewelry or personal savings. Then you will be able to afford to buy tutorial videos.

MrWyatt
07-12-2004, 04:01 AM
!!!speechless!!!

Capt Lightwave
07-12-2004, 04:29 AM
sorry that some people arent made of money, and NO i dont have that program.

but is there another way i might be able to bone and animate the walker so his legs will move?

Oh yes, it certainly is!

There is no clicking on the leg or clicking on the head. I am trying to figure out how to change that. Is there a way?

Yup, more than one.

Carm3D
07-12-2004, 05:41 AM
!!!speechless!!!

Well he has no quams about stealing from NewTek. Maybe he doesn't have a problem with stealing from other people.

d1wojo
07-12-2004, 05:44 AM
The question is does this person have a legal copy or not, if not don't bother us if you do we need to point them in the right direction.

Weetos
07-12-2004, 06:14 AM
off topic - Thanx lesterfoster for this link to Natural Voice Reader, it's much fun !!! - /off topic

@night walker01 :
sorry that some people arent made of money

Well, because you're not made of money doesn't prevent you from being a smart person, so don't expect people to help you when you don't take the time required to learn the basics. I seriously doubt you will accomplish what you wanted to do if you don't try harder than that. Be patient and don't skip the steps, it might be frustrating at times, but there's no other way to learn. If you're using LW in discovery mode and you're running low on cash, that be wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a used copy of lightwave (6.X/7.X) so you get rid of the limitations.

Good luck

Cheers,

Weetos

emoboy83
07-12-2004, 06:29 AM
i dont own a copy of lightwave either, but i also dont have a pirated version. i use my schools version on their computers and borrow there manual.
i dont think basically admitting to owning a pirated version and then asking the most basic questions that are in fact covered in a very simlair tutorial in the manual will get you very far here.
many photoshop users are very tolerent of 'warez' users but i dont think you will find that tolerence here. thats my viewpoint anyway :(

Andrew Sweet
07-12-2004, 06:42 AM
Chap..... As all the guys on here will know, it's many many many and I'll say it again l (many) late nights and long hours of study and yes it can get very tricky, but you need a real love for this subject to get anywhere. Expect the same if not more study time than being a doctor!!! and then it all changes and your back to sqaure one.....lol. You should try animating a few box/balls using keyframes etc and get the feel for computer animation then theres lighting/textures/modeling/diff software ect ect pick an area and learn that. That's maybe why some of the guys on here seem a little touchy!!! but I think some of the comments are a little harsh!! we all start sumwhere!!!. Anyway good luck.

Andy

P.S. If you can't read (and that's not an issue as einstein could not spell!!!) then try the many dvd/movie learning materials, works very well for me!! and there's loads about for free if you have no cash.

lesterfoster
07-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Hear are some free videos.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/videos/index.html

lesterfoster
07-12-2004, 07:19 AM
Things never stay the same, Things always change. I think that this fellow is trying to make good changes.:) :p ;) :D

After all he is trying to learn a very very hard program.

nerdyguy227
07-12-2004, 09:52 AM
yea, I also couldn't read, although I was not trying to use LW at the time. That was quite a while ago, before kindergarden.

robewil
07-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by emoboy83
many photoshop users are very tolerent of 'warez' users but i dont think you will find that tolerence here. thats my viewpoint anyway :( You are entitled to your opinion and threads like this show this lack of "tolerance". It also shows the loyalty of Newtek users. We see Newtek as the small company that tries harder. Their company philosophy has inspired many of their customers (myself included) to be very protective of them because we not only want them to succeeed, we want our fellow members of the Newtek community to succeed with their products.

When someone blatantly states on this forum that they acquired a Newtek product illegitimately, many of us find it offensive and even threatening because we realize how potentially harmful this may be. This is the very reason there are so few companies out there that are like Newtek. This is why the muxic industry is hurting so badly. Speaking for myself, when someone cries "I'm not made of money", they get no sympathy from me. I'm not made of money either and never will be. I couldn't afford Lightwave or my VT3 system but I bought them anyways. It was a sacrifice that most of us made when we purchased our Newtek product. Most of us can appreciate the work that goes into developing a product like Lightwave. We wouldn't want someone stealing and profitting from our own work so we're not going to steal, likewise. We're also not going to be very tolerant of someone unwilling to make the same sacrifice and have the same code of ethics.

emoboy83
07-13-2004, 12:59 AM
why'd you quote me?

lesterfoster
07-13-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Weetos
off topic - Thanx lesterfoster for this link to Natural Voice Reader (http://www.naturalreaders.com/), it's much fun !!! - /off topic

Thank you Weetos. This is one of my favorite programs

stib
07-13-2004, 08:05 AM
if you have trouble reading, why would you pick an application that has an entirely _text based_ UI to learn on?

Andrew Sweet
07-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Point!!

robewil
07-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by emoboy83
why'd you quote me? It seemed that your statement about Lightwavers being less tolerant about piracy needed some explanation.

nerdyguy227
07-13-2004, 07:52 PM
I think nightwalker got scaired off

lesterfoster
07-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by stib
if you have trouble reading, why would you pick an application that has an entirely _text based_ UI to learn on?

Ha stib: who are you talking about! I kneed to know, so I can respond.:)

cholo
07-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Has anyone considered this guy might be running the discovery edition before they burn him at the stake?
Btw... The manuals can be downloaded from the same place you download lightwave updates in PDF format. :)

nerdyguy227
07-14-2004, 05:09 PM
It is very likely. We do not have enough information to fully determen, but judging from his hastly written posts and short ,quick excusses it seems there is more to what he is asking. He seems to want someone to directly tell him (in one sentence and verry short words, so he is "able to read it") how to animate something.

Well here is the message we would probibly all like to tell you NightWalker:

You can not push one butten and he walks.

It takes timing skills, proper technique, and the ability to read, so because you do not like to read, switch to renderman. It is all numbers.

Signal to Noise
07-14-2004, 10:20 PM
I sent the guy a PM the other day when this thread was really in action. I'm not sure if he's read it but I'm posting it here anyway just in case he is not aware of the PM feature (or hasn't bothered reading about it ;) )

I'm pretty sure he's kind of chickened out though, and for good reason if he was using an illegitimate copy of LW.

Dude, if you are using pirated/warez/cracked software then this isn't the place to try to learn about it. After all, NewTek makes LightWave and run (as well as monitor) these forums.

If money is a problem for a book then do a google search for some tutorials. Also, the links myself and others provided you should get you started. Especially the FREE tutorials provided by NewTek. Look there.

It's unfortunate you don't enjoy, or have a heard time, reading. You'll find to do anything involving 3D animation requires reading, studying, practice, and patience. Everyone has got to start somewhere. ;)

emoboy83
07-15-2004, 01:26 AM
It seemed that your statement about Lightwavers being less tolerant about piracy needed some explanation

I find that from my experiance within the graphic design field many people who think that they are profficent in a warez version of photoshop think they can be designers because it is relatively easy to make an interesting image in these programs. On the other hand Lightwave requires an investment of both time and passion to achieve even minimal results hence most people become attached to the program and wish to support it. Also this is the official website of NewTek, not really a place where pirates roam!

nerdyguy227
07-15-2004, 06:08 PM
I sent the guy a PM the other day when this thread was really in action.

LOL... I did the exact same thing.

lesterfoster
07-15-2004, 06:14 PM
It is amazing on how many people hear can't spell. It makes me feel better.:)

nerdyguy227
07-15-2004, 06:29 PM
I admit it, I cant spell, but I have been getting better.

lesterfoster
07-15-2004, 06:33 PM
You look like you can spell OK to me.:)

nerdyguy227
07-15-2004, 06:37 PM
I thought so.

I went to www.dictionary.com to check all the words in my las post. I thought you looked at one of my other posts after I found out I spelled everything correctly

lesterfoster
07-15-2004, 06:41 PM
I think that you are one of the better spellers hear. Check out the best of the best hear. You well see that a lot of them can't spell.:)

Andrew Sweet
07-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Most ALL real creative people can't spell!!! *left side right side of the brain issue*, my english is very good!!, but my spelling..........is ****e.........which I find a real drawback sometimes..but you learn to make do!!! maths skills can also lack in creatives, my high IQ more than makes up for it tho :-)

Andy

P.S. If i were an english teacher I'd worry about it ;-),

retinajoy
07-16-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by lesterfoster
It is amazing on how many people hear can't spell. It makes me feel better.:)

Like using "hear" instead of "here" :D

I miself am a gret spelllar and alweys spel thins proply.

:)

lesterfoster
07-16-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by retinajoy

I miself am a gret spelllar and alweys spel thins proply.

I make these kinds of spelling mistakes all the time. Spell checkers do not catch these types of spelling mistakes.:)

emoboy83
07-16-2004, 08:50 AM
ha, ive been told ill make a decent graphic designer because my hand writing is atrocious! oh and spelling

Wade
07-16-2004, 10:21 AM
:o who me? but I can do so much others can not yet to spell with ease, oh how I wish please oh please.

nerdyguy227
07-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by retinajoy

He still spelled all the words correctly

anyway, this is off topic, Sorry!