PDA

View Full Version : Best Res for DVD quality recoding

vrhoward
03-28-2003, 11:02 PM
I need to get input on the best resolution for rendering out for recording to DVD. I am setting up a demo animation to be ganged with a promotional software DVD and need to render for DVD quality imaging I am still a little confused as I dont see much difference between PAL or NTSC images. Or should I just hang it all and go for the gusto with HDTV quality?

Your input and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mylenium
03-31-2003, 02:50 AM
You should really first check what your DVD is going to be. Excuse my saying so, but you seem to have no clue. Btw, to make your research a bit more worthwhile it can have 4:3, 4:3 Pan & Scan and 16:9 ratios as well which also needs to be considered in DVD authoring (requires proper initialization on the player). Also, up until now HDTV is out of the question.

Mylenium

vrhoward
03-31-2003, 07:24 AM
your absolutely correct sir I have not a clue as this is the first time I have attempted to author anything to ANY format. Up until now I have only played around with light wave so this is all new. Can you be a little more descriptive with the information you have passed along so I can more fully understand it.

Thanks!!

Prosprctor
03-31-2003, 10:09 AM
vrhoward...I've done a cupla DVDs now and the FIRST thing I take into consideration is the target audience equipment.
So..
as *most* people still have ordinary TVs, I go with the 4:3 first then may add the 16:9 if there is room.
If you are doing for corporate presentations or trade shows, they may be more into the 16:9 or the new HDTV.

That would be my first considerations.

then I use the THempg (?) to get RTVs to MPEG4 format (as it lets you see graphically how big your DVD file will be as you do the settings.

I will try to fill the DVD to it's max no matter what size the media is that's going onto it, (the larger the file the better it comes out)
This also counts the menu size and any overhead that is needed by your DVD software, (static or animated menus)

Mylenium
03-31-2003, 11:26 AM
Hi there,

First of all it would be important which app you would use for authoring. We use the Mercedes among them, which is "Scenarist" so we are not limited by anything.

To Prospectr:

For a DVD conforming to spec it would have to be MPEG-II and not 4 - a lot of players will play MPEG-4 video but you will have no menus etc. Also for MPEG II HDTV is out of the question, like I said.

As for a format: it doesn't matter, what your equipment (theoretically) supports. Even if it doesn't have proper support for 16:9 it will display it but distorted of course. With 4:3 you are always on the save side, though.

Making your files big just to fill your disc is nonsense. Even at low bit-rates your video can still look good. An average data rate of 5 to 6 Mbit is used for most commercial DVDs and 7 is considered to be excellent. If you do not have a lot of extra features such as subtitles, multiple languages, angles etc. you may use the full 9 Mbit however with no harm done.

Mylenium

Prosprctor
03-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Mylenium
You are right MPEG II my mistake:rolleyes:

As I really really hate a movie being squished with big black tops and bottoms, I only mention it for that reason about the 4:3 or 16:9 but yes ya can do both on same DVD, just sometimes I get them and I got no choice.

I don't however think making big files are really nonsence.

Even at 5 to 6 Mbit if you are looking for pixelation it can easily be found and if that used 2 gigs of a 4 gig DVD then why NOT do less compression and let it get to 4 gig file size and have a picture that makes it much harder to find any pixelation?

People that aren't really into the graphics end of video might sit back and watch a movie and NEVER notice anything wrong, but after doing renders and anims for this Lo many years I can spot pixels out of place pretty quickly and to see that a commercial DVD is only half or three quarters burned, makes me wonder.

But that is just personell preference I guess.

Just passing all info I can to get the best video for the right job needed.

vrhoward
03-31-2003, 08:19 PM
The actual rendered object is a 29 sec demo trailer of sorts to show the magic behind a NEW software program that my partners are creating so they have asked it to be DVD quality and that is the whole point of this question

LSlugger
03-31-2003, 11:44 PM
I have no experience with DVD authoring, but there was an interesting discussion of this topic on USENET: "Lightwave Anim to DVD?" For anamorphic 16:9 NTSC, Dean Scott said: "Render out at 720 x 480 and set the pixel aspect ratio to 1.18." Alternatively, Jeff Kilgroe suggested: "It's handy if you're on a computer system with a square pixel resolution ... to actually use 852 x 480 and then scale the image to 720 x 480."