PDA

View Full Version : Terrible performance

Jarred
07-10-2004, 01:59 AM
Ok, I just bought an Sony laptop with a Ati mobilty 9600 I think...

and the perspective view runs great, all other views chug like mad at 4k poly's.

??? Can't really do to much work with a 4k limit.

it's a 2.8ghz....

am I missing something here? But my two year old laptop that is less than half of this new machine with an Nvidia runs 80k fine....

Jarred
07-10-2004, 02:11 AM
and I jsut checked for new drivers, nothin.

My guess here is to stay way from Ati mobility GPU's.

reverie
07-10-2004, 06:32 AM
I had a similar problem, and I replaced my graphics card, which someone bluntly called a POS. It was a ProSavage. Now, my models manipulate like a dream, even at high poly counts, with a Raedon 9800SE (Atlantis). :)

I got a lot of help here, about what sort of card to get. People were very nice about making recommendations and sharing experiences.

Jan

nnasr.rm
07-10-2004, 08:19 AM
i know it sounds wierd, but sometimes when you launch photoshop, Lightwave slows down a lot.
close photo shop, and re launch lightwave and it works!!
crazyy!!

Jarred
07-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Well I just went and replaced it with a different laptop (same hardware) but with an Nvidia go5700

runs fine now.

Triple G
07-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Odd....I just bought a Dell Inspiron XPS with a Mobility 9700 128MB, and I haven't noticed any problems with it when using LW as far as slowdowns with large poly counts at all. Pretty darn snappy, as a matter of fact.

On a related note, what is the general consensus among laptop users in regards to graphic card drivers? I went to ATI's site, and they say they don't offer drivers for notebook computers because the ones that came with it are supposedly tuned for my particular machine's LCD and any other graphics apps that came with it. So I guess I need to go to Dell's site to download ATI drivers for my laptop? I don't see anyplace on Dell's site for doing that, though...:confused: Not that I need new drivers now, but it'd be nice to know what the heck to do when that situation inevitably arises....