PDA

View Full Version : PC and Mac render node availability?

wp_capozzi
07-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Hello,

Not sure if I have my facts stright. For awhile, I think, both Mac and PC LW has been distributed together, along with the USB duo-dongle?
If I don't have this (still have my PC parallel port dongle), is it possible to get just the Mac LWSN render node? I have a few PC's and one Mac. I'd like to be able to add the Mac to the render farm.
Just wondering if the Mac render node is available, since the Linux node was made available awhile ago.

Thanks,
Bill C.

Red_Oddity
07-10-2004, 04:10 AM
Rendernodes will render regardles of a dongle is attached to the computer

If you go cross platform for netrendering, i say you give a program like Muster a go (free working demo available (2nodes))

http://www.vvertex.com/

mixes almost every available 3d and composite program (Maya, LW, XSI, AFX, etc)

harlan
07-10-2004, 01:32 PM
We have something like 200 machines in a farm available for public use (ie: rent) - I'm not sure what the rates are or anything, but I'll pass that info along if you need it.

I believe it's being controlled through Muster as well.

Original1
07-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by wp_capozzi
Hello,

Not sure if I have my facts stright. For awhile, I think, both Mac and PC LW has been distributed together, along with the USB duo-dongle?
If I don't have this (still have my PC parallel port dongle), is it possible to get just the Mac LWSN render node? I have a few PC's and one Mac. I'd like to be able to add the Mac to the render farm.
Just wondering if the Mac render node is available, since the Linux node was made available awhile ago.

Thanks,
Bill C.

If you haven't yet made the upgrade to LW 8 swopping your parrellel dongle for the USB duo dongle is well worth it, I use LW 8 on my Video Toaster box when at home and when I am out on the road I use my Powerbook G4 along with F-Prime (which is dual Licence tied to the same USB key)

To the best of my knowledge rendernodes run without a dongle,
but this may answer your question better

http://www.the-worms-of-art.com/ContFiles/Tutorials/27-SNETII_Mac.pdf

stib
07-13-2004, 08:09 AM
yup. LWSN nodes run without a dongle, and you can install them on macs and PCs - I know I did it myself. Only problem is you'll need 3rd party software to render on both platforms at the same time.

wp_capozzi
07-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I already know that render nodes can be used without the dongle. Actually, I'm pretty sure that they can be used alone on a computer that isn't networked, by transferring the content files and using a command line instruction to start the render node, which is what I was getting at. The only thing I'm missing is the Mac render node itself.

I was wondering if it is available for free or for sale from Newtek, since it seems that some people do have both just by getting the version with both PC and Mac included. And the Linux node was available for free.

I had considered switching to the USB dongle, but I have a bunch of 3rd party plugins and other software tied to my parallel port dongle which I have already found to be a serious pain to try to get an answer from anyone about on whether or not -ALL- of my plugins that I paid for and use will be transferred to the new duo-dongle. Tying multple softwares to a single dongle is a bad idea in the end.

All I want is to add a render node on the Mac, since it's just sitting there all alone.

Thanks,
Bill C.

BeeVee
07-19-2004, 03:08 AM
It's not a good idea to mix processor types in a render farm since they have different ways of calculating random values.

B

stib
07-19-2004, 05:21 AM
I never had any problems. I've used procedurals, expressions, hypervoxels, and often the render setup would result in the mac doing the even frames with the PC doing odds. Never saw any artefacts.

I reckon the "PCs and macs render things differently" adage is an old Lightwaver's tale.

BeeVee
07-19-2004, 05:49 AM
Then you are very lucky. I take it you never rendered any caustics, used SkyTracer or did radiosity calculations either? It's certainly true that if you have no use for the random function called upon in LightWave then you will have no trouble...

B

wp_capozzi
07-19-2004, 10:34 AM
I still don't see an answer to the question that I asked.

BeeVee
07-19-2004, 12:41 PM
The short answer to your original question is that no, you don't have the right to the Mac rendernode if you don't have a dual licence. The complicated version of the answer would be that since there are problems rendering across the two platforms related to random number generation, you really don't want to use the Mac as a separate rendernode. :)

B

wp_capozzi
07-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Since I already know my plug-ins won't work on the Mac among other things like random number generation, that was never an issue.
My plan was to render certain parts of certain sequences for compositing later. Even if I used some kind of procedural, the entire sequence would have been rendered either on the PC OR on the Mac, not both. The random number thing would not have mattered the way I render and construct the final images.
If that's your word as a Newtek tech support, maybe you should be more open to how others work, instead of making an assumption and standing on it. There is more than one way to get the job done.
Thanks anyway for the answer on not being allowed to use the Mac render node.

stib
07-19-2004, 05:37 PM
I take it you never rendered any caustics, used SkyTracer or did radiosity calculations either?

no, true. I never did those. I'll go back to my low end video hole now. *blushes*