PDA

View Full Version : Old Lantern

reverie
07-09-2004, 05:16 AM
Hi,

I'm a newbie, working toward intermediate level. :D At www.indeptharts.com we do a 3D challenge every week, and this is an entry I did for the last one. The challenges really help -- they make you push your limits and try out new tools. I'm Lightwaver #2 over there...Lightwaver #1 is a guy named Boulyabase, who is currently learning C4D for professional reasons, so I'm lonely. All others there are C4D'ers. ;)

Anyway, here's the picture. BTW, I wrote my first very basic tut, for a friend who's learning Lightwave and is in more desperate straits than me. It's here (http://www.indeptharts.com/viewtopic.php?t=1287&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) if anyone would be so kind as to proof it.

Thanks,
Jan

reverie
07-09-2004, 05:20 AM
Here's the wireframe. BTW, I textured the glass bowl using techniques in Leigh Van Der Byl's book then added a bit of noise in Photoshop. The texture for the metal parts of the lantern is a LW8 preset -- dented bronze, I believe. I was tempted to paint Leigh's rusty metal texture, but that dented bronze was so convenient...:D

Basic three point lighting system used. I don't think I overlapped the key and fill lights correctly though. :mad:

tickle
07-10-2004, 04:54 AM
I think you have a really moody setup which I like.

Maybe you should used a different camera angle so you can see the hook the lantern is hanging on a bit better.

Great start!

reverie
07-10-2004, 05:39 AM
Thank you for the encouragement, tickle! :)

I'll try another render and see how it looks from the side.

Jan

reverie
07-10-2004, 06:21 AM
Here's another view. :)

I didn't add any noise in Photoshop this time, but I did adjust the levels and sharpened a bit to bring out the details. I have really got to work on my lighting skills.

Jan

Hoopti
07-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Second one looks much better. I like the texture, it almost looks like it's been repainted over rust kinda like my real lantern.

The link you gave in the first message is dead or incorrect. I tried to head over just to see the site, that kinda thing is interesting, I love a challenge to improve my skills.

reverie
07-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Hey, you're from North Carolina! :) We're almost neighbors.

Thanks for the comment. I fixed the top link (to indeptharts). There was a comma that shouldn't have been there. The challenges are in the Manic Modelers section. Join us anytime. :)

The tut is at the same place, in the 3D workshop section, if you'd like to read it and see if it makes sense. ;) Not hinting or anything...

Thanks again for the comment. The texture is the dented bronze preset. LW8 has some killer presets. Even a velvet texture, although I think the one that results from the tut in Leigh Van Der Byl's book gives a better "velvet" look. I use those presets a lot though -- so much that dk at indepth pointedly asked when I was going to start painting my own textures! :o

Jan

dxyner
07-12-2004, 09:00 AM
The lamp looks good and your tutorial looks good (though too many smileys for my taste). I'd agree with whoever asked you about making your own textures. It can be a bit tricky in Light Wave but so rewarding when you get it right. Your metal texture doesn't do the model justice. Moisture and other elements are not going to affect the metal in a uniform way so your rust needs some variation of color and texture.

All in all this is a good start. Hopefully you'll find more LW friends here:)

Dxyner

reverie
07-12-2004, 09:12 AM
dxy, I am notorious at indepth for overuse of smilies. A guy recently did a parody of one of my posts where he used a smilie every other word. :D I've been trying to cut down, but the smilie habit is HARD to break.

Thanks for the comments! Guess I should've painted that rust texture, but I'm also notoriously lazy. Doggone Newtek for making those presets so tempting.

And thanks for reading the tut. There's only one other person at IDA who is a Lightwaver, and he's off learning C4D, poor feller. So, I was in need of someone to proof it. :)

The challenge over there this week is to model a birthday cake. dk chose that one, curse him, because he knew there couldn't possibly be a Lightwave preset texture called "cake icing." ;)

Jan