PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph:Interesting stuff to watch out for, part 1

Emmanuel
07-09-2004, 03:35 AM
I just read that "they" at PDI will publish some papers about the radiosity solution they developed for SHREK 2.
In the article I read, they say its a lot of cheating, also for the subsurface scattering effect, but as long as it looks good, who cares :) ?
So You guys at NT, stay tuned for those papers and develop some ideas ;)
In messiah:studio, they advertise it as the GI beeing 20 times faster
than before, so for LW there is room for improvement, too.
But I guess pmG won't release Siggraph papers :)

Nemoid
07-09-2004, 07:38 AM
Yap i agree on this.

Well, let's see what FPrime will deliver too in the next future, as well as the current Lw engine too. surely the SIGG papers have to be inspirational for those enhancements and i think both mr Worley and Nt staff will stay tuned for sure.

Messiah, too is very inspirational both into animation tools and rendering engine for sure, and these are the main areas in wich the Nt team should invest on developing indeed in the 8.x cycle. :)

Librarian
07-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Nemoid
animation tools and rendering engine for sure, and these are the main areas in wich the Nt team should invest on developing indeed in the 8.x cycle. :)
Yes, I agree, they should concentrate on these two.
To make the next serious step in modeling, we need edges, history and new subdiv shemes. And I highly doubt you can make this without an overhaul of modeler.
8.x for animation, rendering and general workflow enhancements.
SSS, Subpixel Displacement, faster GI, overall faster rendering, a better network rendering management solution, open SDK for FPrime :) , some enhancements in IK Boost and Dynamics and, of course, bugfixing.

Exper
07-09-2004, 08:40 AM
I'm dreaming too...
a jump from LW[8] to LW[9] in an update cycle!

Really cool! :cool:

Nemoid
07-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Librarian
Yes, I agree, they should concentrate on these two.
To make the next serious step in modeling, we need edges, history and new subdiv shemes. And I highly doubt you can make this without an overhaul of modeler.
8.x for animation, rendering and general workflow enhancements.
SSS, Subpixel Displacement, faster GI, overall faster rendering, a better network rendering management solution, open SDK for FPrime :) , some enhancements in IK Boost and Dynamics and, of course, bugfixing.

Yap, even consirdering the fact that modelling in Lw is quite good, even whitout those enhancements, wich however would be a great benefit. but thinking what's the most interesting thing in 3D content creation, well, for me is the possibility to animate things and characters.

Layout had been developed with less efforts to make it a valuable and powerful tool for animation despite being a good environment, it could be way better, especially if u compare it with the animation compartment of High end apps like XSI or Maya too.

Then, apps like MB and Messiah, have even better features than the latest apps because they are dedicated apps for the animation task.

that's why a good area to focus on is animation and rendering.

animation responsiveness must be increased, the ik solver improved IMO too. bones are a great thing in messiah, and behave very well.

Then rendering speed especially for GI but also in general. another thing they should focus on are UV maps distortions and displacement for normal maps.

In 8 we have some good tools for setup like the ortho tools, and the IK booster wich must grow, but setup is ONE thing, while animation is another thing.:D