PDA

View Full Version : Howto render at 38268 x 8504 pixels ?

cg-freak
07-09-2004, 01:14 AM
How would you go about rendering at this resolution (13.5 mtrs x 3 mtrs at 70 DPI)?

Thanx in advance,

CG-Freak:)

Red_Oddity
07-09-2004, 04:40 AM
That requires rendering with Limited Regions...there should be some tools out there that manage slicing of a frame for rendering (check www.flay.com)

kmscottmoore
07-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Alternately, you could render the image at the highest res that your machine will allow (depending on RAM usually much lower than the 8000 x 8000 that NewTek advertises) and use this to increase the res:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/Interpolation_Plugin/

It's actually just a clever script, and with a little elbow grease you could write your own Photoshop Action to do the same thing. I would leave the final sharpen step to be adjusted on an image by image basis. The larger the print, the less critical resolution becomes. 70 dpi sounds high for the size of print that you're talking about (a billboard??-- I'm guessing)

Also, isn't it a bit funny that you specify your dimensions in metric, and your resolution in English??

kmscottmoore
07-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Also, look up this thread (and associated links) for an in-depth discussion of printing and resolution.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24297

cg-freak
07-11-2004, 03:05 AM
Thank you for the tips and the great pointer to the thread where you can learn a lot from :)

Have tried some plugins to divide the scene but they masked out areas, so the resolution stayed the same. I looked at the scene-files that were created by the plugins with a text editor and edited a line in them which read LimitedRegion 1. Changed that to LimitedRegion 2 and Lightwave rendered only the visible part.

I think it has something to do with Lightwave 8.0 were you can choose between limited region with or without borders. But anyway, this is probably the way I'll go about this. The render will be used on the sides and back of a truck-trailer.

Grtzzzz...