PDA

View Full Version : Is LW 8 for Professional Use?

axaboss
07-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Would anyone in this forum consider LightWave 8 ready for "prime-time?" Or should I still be cautious about bugs? Let me put it this way... is it more stable than LightWave 7.5c?

Thanks...

Signal to Noise
07-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Yes, [8] is ready for "prime-time". And yes, you should still be cautious of bugs BUT I am positive that NewTek are busily working away at providing fixes. There are some bugs that haven't been fixed since 7+ (eg. Cycler) and there are some new ones affecting new features. The Scene Editor can be somewhat buggy depending on what you're doing. As far as I'm concerned the bugs aren't real show stoppers anyway. But they do need to be fixed.

Overall, I'm finding [8] very much stable compared to [7.5]. Especially the Hub. There's no reason to disable the Hub anymore.

If you are planning to buy [8] as an upgrade then go for it now. You'll be able to play with it and learn all the new features. If you are buying it as a new 'whole' package then maybe wait a bit until NewTek announce an update.

firstsingle
07-09-2004, 09:15 AM
I second that Signal.

axaboss
07-09-2004, 11:40 AM
To be honest... I have the LightWave 8 upgrade, but haven't had a moment to breakout of a string of work and chance it on a new project. Now things are calm. Clients are taking vacations. Hopefully short ones.

I guess its time for me to dig in deep and make some assumptions of my own. I appreciate the feedback. It sounds like I don't have to worry much about using it on the next project.

AXA